Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-starch-t29456.html)

Jackie R 12-01-2009 06:17 PM

My question is why starch at all? I've never done it but I'm rather a recent, intermitent quilter in recent years and haven't been told to apply starch in any of the lessons or books I have. Should I be starching?

Prism99 12-01-2009 09:13 PM

Starching stabilizes fabric so that you can get more accurate cuts and also piece more accurately (less stretching of the fabric edge). Stiffly starching backing fabric before layering the quilt sandwich prevents tucks and puckers underneath when you machine quilt.

I don't use spray starch because I always seem to scorch it. :oops: I lay fabric on my kitchen island, use a large wal painting brush to "paint" on a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, toss the saturated fabric in the dryer, then iron with steam.

I usually don't starch fabrics for the top because I don't prewash. Fabric comes from the store with some sizing and starch already in it, and I find this is enough to keep me accurate with cutting and piecing. I do prewash and dry flannel fabrics, though, because they shrink so much. Since washing removes all the manufacturer's sizing, I use my starching method above for washed flannel. It makes my flannel piecing very accurate.

Gennynut 05-22-2010 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
YES YES YES Starch!!! I spray the fabric and let it set for about 15 mins then lay it out and press it well. The best starch is Mary Ellen's but that is quite pricey. Can Spray starch has always had a tendency to burn for me. I use the starch in a blue gallon jug that you mix 50/50 with water. Starch is absolutely necessary if your fabric is not the best quality. If it is higher quality then starch is still very useful but not as critical IMHO.

Yep just found this out. Iam rather new to quilting. I just did not get what the fuss was over starching. Then I started doing a BOM called Sentimental Journey and used the same fabric as the sample quilt. One of the fabric is flimsy in comparison with the others. I had a terrible time doing the 1st block . Then the Ahh! moment hit and I starched that fabric and no more problem. Just goes to show some of us have to learn the hard way.

tarbender30 05-23-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
Where is Mary Ellen's site?

I believe it's just
www.maryellen.com
or you can type into your search area,
Mary Ellen's Best Press
and see what that does for you.
Good Luck.
Bev

BTW-I understand you can get it at Shipshawanna also

ann clare 05-23-2010 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie R
My question is why starch at all? I've never done it but I'm rather a recent, intermitent quilter in recent years and haven't been told to apply starch in any of the lessons or books I have. Should I be starching?

Same here. Not going to start now. Can just about afford the fabric.

Kitsie 05-23-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
Niagra Starch has a new liquid in a spray bottle that has a Fresh Linen smell to it and it is comparable to Mary Ellens at only about $1.50 instead of almost $8.00. I use the new Niagra all the time now. You can get it at Walmart or Target or some grocery stores.

I just started using that but found there were little bits of "glittery" stuff all over the fabric! Never had that with the spray but I can't make the spray come out in a fine mist. Perhaps I'll try mixing up another kind and putting it in the spray bottle.

oatw13 05-23-2010 12:50 PM

I make my own starch. I mix 2 cups of cold water with one tablespoon of corn starch in a spray bottle. I give it a good shake before I spray onto fabric. If I want more stiffness, I add a little more cornstarch. It keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks with no issues.

I spray this onto fabric and let it soak in so the liquid is not sitting on the surface of the fabric then I usually press it when damp. This way the heat from the iron makes steam (much like when you spritz water on fabric before pressing to make steam.) I always spray on the back side of the fabric. I don't have issues with flaking or spotting.

It works as well as the store bought without any of the chemicals or propellants. If I want a light scent, I can add a few drops of essential oils or even a drop of lemon extract.

Lisa 05-23-2010 01:00 PM

Just corn starch like from the grocery store?

PALS65 05-23-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tarbender30
Have you ever been to MaryEllen's website? She sells her starch by the gallon too. Right now that is a lot of money for me to spend. I wish I had another quilter who lived close by so we could split the jug, and then it wouldn't seem so expensive. I do love that starch.
Bev

Tarbender does your LQS sell Mary Ellen's? Sometimes they will refill your bottle at a cheaper price.

icon17 05-23-2010 05:42 PM

HI everyone,
I make my own starch. mix 1/2c.cornstarch in 1c. cold water. Then boil water in large pot,remove from heat. Add the cold water mix to: 2qts hot water for heavy starch,4qts hot water for medium starch, 6qts hot water for lite starch.[4c.water=1qt]
I needed lots of starch for cheep so looked on line. Save the extra in your Refer. put in your own sprayer. Or can dip your items/doilies/fabric.As I did doilies for my Quilt.