Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-starch-t316977.html)

twhvlr 12-03-2021 09:27 AM

Using starch

How stiff do you want the fabric to be when using starch? I’m going to be making some mini blocks and want them to be as perfect as possible. Also I’m going to be using a lot of homespun which has a tendency to stretch easily.
Thanks in advance.

juliasb 12-03-2021 10:57 AM

I tend to lightly starch my fabrics only enough to hold it in place while cutting.

tallchick 12-03-2021 11:17 AM

You will get many different response's at the end of the day I highly suggest that you experiment with a block or 2 to see what works best for you. I starch before I cut any fabric, I starch after piecing components of a block, I starch each block after its assembled, and I starch my top when its done as I am pressing the seams for the rows. I can fold a completed top and it will never crease or wrinkle. I use a lot of starch! For me, I can’t piece without it.

Jingle 12-03-2021 05:00 PM

I never starch any fabrics.

cashs_mom 12-03-2021 06:54 PM

It depends on what I'm doing. For normal quilting, I just starch lightly, but if I'm doing half square triangles or anything involving bias, I starch the living daylights out of it. I did a pattern that was similar to a one block wonder and had a lot of bias edges. I starched it til it was like pieces of copy paper. When I put the blocks together, I had no problems with bias.

Tartan 12-03-2021 07:40 PM

Homespuns are different from quilting cotton. I would starch the dickens out of them and use a larger seam allowance and smaller stitch length. The weave tends to be looser then quilting cotton.

Snooze2978 12-04-2021 07:00 AM

I use the Quilter's Moonshine recipe but add liquid Sta-Flo to make it even more stiff. I like my fabric to be as stiff as possible so there's less possible chance of it stretching when pressing and during construction.

SusieQOH 12-04-2021 07:28 AM

I agree- the smaller the pieces the more starch.

P-BurgKay 12-04-2021 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8523201)
You will get many different response's at the end of the day I highly suggest that you experiment with a block or 2 to see what works best for you. I starch before I cut any fabric, I starch after piecing components of a block, I starch each block after its assembled, and I starch my top when its done as I am pressing the seams for the rows. I can fold a completed top and it will never crease or wrinkle. I use a lot of starch! For me, I can’t piece without it.

I am with you. Starch is a best friend for me.

Onebyone 12-04-2021 07:52 AM

I use my Accuquilt for most of my cutting. i use Terial Magic spray and it get the fabric stiff as paper. I dilute it for less stiffness. For full strength I use a pressing cloth to keep the iron clean. I use Sta flo mixed with water and vodka for crispness. The ironing sprays are wimpy.