Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using table for layering quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-table-layering-quilt-t164354.html)

sblancarte 10-31-2011 05:09 AM

I am considering trying fusible batting--does anyone else do this for a large quilt--how do you layer it then? Do the fusibles have glue on both sides?

Pieces2 10-31-2011 05:12 AM

I use my glass dining room table. And use masking tap to hold the backing taut, add the batting and quilt top and pin from the center out. I have only done crib/lap size quilts this way. Anything bigger I send to my long arm quilter.

grandma Janice 10-31-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by paulswalia
I use a carpeted floor all the time! Lay your backing down, wrong side up and pin it to the carpet in the corners and a couple of places along the sides, making sure it is flat and tight. Layer your batting and then the top, smoothing out each layer. THEN (this is how it works), slide a cutting mat on the carpet, under the backing and use the mat as something to pin against so you don't catch your carpet. I just did it last night - works great!

I do this but I have the side of a large appliance box. I store this cardboard piece under the bed .

Blackberry 10-31-2011 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
Harriet Hargrave recommends doing it on a table. She describes it in detail in her book "Heirloom Machine Quilting."

She recommends taping a toothpick on the centers of the top edges of the table. You can then feel through the layers to know exactly where the center is to place your sandwich layers.

I have her book and I think it is about the best one I have seen for teaching quilting. I have yet to make a quilt larger than a lapthrow but when I finally get up the nerve to try a twin or even a queen I am going to use her method.

patdesign 10-31-2011 06:12 AM

I have the same problem, certainly no wall. When I layer mine I have to work off of a kitchen island which is 4 x 6 ft, large but not large enough. Sometimes I have to smooth out layers and re layer because there are still buckles and wrinkles and my bar top is granite, do I dont think the problem is the carpet so much. Wish I could figure out a wall somewhere, but no luck.:)

Debbie C 10-31-2011 06:18 AM

That's where an extra set of hands comes in - I call for my husband or my quilting buddy!!

Originally Posted by annesthreads

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I have used my dining room table. I layer all three layers, than start pining, or basting, in the very middle and work out to each side, top and back. I smooth as I go. I know some will clip the backing to the edge of the table to begin but I don't. The weight of the hangover seems to keep it smooth. Once the quilt area on top of the table is basted I move the quilt sandwich one way or the other to continue with the pining or basting. Works or me.

This is what I was thinking of doing. Doesn't the quilt tend to slip off once you get near the edge and most of it is off the table?

bettysew 10-31-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I have used my dining room table. I layer all three layers, than start pining, or basting, in the very middle and work out to each side, top and back. I smooth as I go. I know some will clip the backing to the edge of the table to begin but I don't. The weight of the hangover seems to keep it smooth. Once the quilt area on top of the table is basted I move the quilt sandwich one way or the other to continue with the pining or basting. Works or me.

ditto

susanlh 10-31-2011 06:55 AM

Look at Sharon Schamblins tutor on basting quilts. Helps.

spark 10-31-2011 07:14 AM

I use the table to baste, but I roll a large marble to the place that I will be putting each pin. This holds the quilt up just enough to pin easily and not mar the table top. So far, no puckers.

vondae 10-31-2011 07:22 AM

This may not be and option for everyone, but, I go to our church fellowship hall and push tables together and sandwich my quilts. Just a thought for some of you. Ours is a smaller church and no one minds.