Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using Templates on a pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-templates-pattern-t43793.html)

MISHNJIM 04-24-2010 04:19 PM

Got a question for my wonderful quilters....When I go on the Quilter's Cache site, I've seen some patterns I like but you have to use templates. Do I have to add 1/4" to the drawn out template or is it the size it needs to be. I'm trying to adventure out but is a little scared.

Thanks for all of your help,
Mish :thumbup:

sandpat 04-24-2010 04:30 PM

They will generally show a line where the actual piece is, then there will be another line outside of that. That would be the 1/4" seam allowance. You can always measure the piece to see if it is actually 1/4" (and I would before I started sewing). Good luck venturing out....you just go for it...after all...its only fabric if you mess up... :-D

dsb38327 04-24-2010 04:43 PM

Practice on an old sheet.........

clem55 04-24-2010 05:01 PM

It normally will tell you if you need to add the seam allowance, or if it is included. Look for that notation.

craftybear 04-24-2010 05:16 PM

thanks

pocoellie 04-24-2010 05:35 PM

Also remember on most of her patterns she uses a "scant" 1/4 seam.

MISHNJIM 04-24-2010 06:37 PM

And what exactly is a scant 1/4" seam...I never seem to understand that.

Thank you for everyone's help.

amma 04-24-2010 09:44 PM

A scant 1/4" is 2-3 threads narrower than a 1/4" seam. You will literally look at the edge of the fabric where your 1/4" in seam would be, and count 2-3 threads over to the right on the fabric and that is where you seam should be :D:D:D

All of the templates I have downloaded from there, have already had the seam allowances added in :D:D:D and yes, I too have to use a scant 1/4" to get correct sized blocks :wink:

craftybear 04-24-2010 09:49 PM

great information Amma, thanks!

Originally Posted by amma
A scant 1/4" is 2-3 threads narrower than a 1/4" seam. You will literally look at the edge of the fabric where your 1/4" in seam would be, and count 2-3 threads over to the right on the fabric and that is where you seam should be :D:D:D

All of the templates I have downloaded from there, have already had the seam allowances added in :D:D:D and yes, I too have to use a scant 1/4" to get correct sized blocks :wink:

CoyoteQuilts 04-24-2010 10:33 PM

Did you know....

The lines on a index card are 1/4 in apart?

On electronic sewing machines put your needle position one click to the right for scant 1/4 inch.

Older machines with only left, center and right needle positions, can get the 'scant' by using the index card to determine where the material edge falls on the bed of the machine and placing several layers of painters tape in front of the foot.

The 'scant' allows for the fold when you press the seam to one side.

Kaye Wood patterns do NOT depend on a scant 1/4 inch to come out the right size AND you can change the width of your strips up or down and still have a beautiful quilt!