Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using up my stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-up-my-stash-t214352.html)

Sheepshed 02-21-2013 12:57 PM

Save a little square off the end, or a segment of the strip LOL

meanmom 02-21-2013 02:03 PM

I have a collection of pastel batiks that I have been hoarding for a special project. Nothing in particular, just something special. I had a really hard time forcing myself to cut them for a quilt for my new grandson. If that isn't a special project I'm not sure what is. I have several fabrics I can't cut. My goal for this year is to make things out of my stash. I totally understand you problem.

twinkie 02-22-2013 03:49 AM

You have to just get to a point where you have to use the stash because you cannot buy any more fabric. I reached that point about a year ago and seldom if ever buy fabric.

josiegirl 02-22-2013 05:58 AM

Oh thank goodness! I really thought there was something wrong with me. I have such a hard time using my stash. I mean that is what it is supposed to be for - TO USE. But I look at the great colors and wonder if I should save it for something else. I have pushed myself not to buy another piece of material until I put a dent in what I have. That may be tough as I have 27 large totes, 6 smaller totes of FQ, 3 totes of scraps, and quite a few (15+) of material on bolts!

mjhaess 02-22-2013 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SunQuilts (Post 5875379)
I think I have a problem. I am planning a quilt (pineapple nine patch) - scrappy - in shades of red. And I have collected reds for years so I have lots. But each time I pull a piece for consideration, my first thought is that if I use that piece, then I won't have it anymore. So back in the stash it goes. Hard to make myself use up my stash - does anyone else do this?

Look at it this way...each time you see it in your quilt, you still have it....

Kath12 02-22-2013 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 5875999)
I don't seem to have as much problem with using up small pieces as with discovering after finishing a quilt that there is only a little left of whichever fabric in THAT quilt was my favorite so there's not enough of it for another quilt. Silly, I know!

Make a miniature! It doesn't take much fabric to make one. I am currently addicted to making doll quilts. I plan on showing some and selling some in my Guilds quilt show this fall.

kydeb 02-22-2013 09:17 AM

I do it a lot!! I look at my fabric and think, no, I don't want to use that all up! It's a terrible disease!! I have my fabric on comic book boards and it just looks so pretty on the shelves! LOL

SunQuilts 02-22-2013 10:15 AM

Wow - had no idea so many other folks share my problem. And it isn't even as if a particular piece of fabric is so beautiful/meaningful/unique, etc. I just hate using it up and leaving a hole in my stash - even though I know I will fill it up again very quickly. Quilters are a strange bunch -not that there is anything wrong with that, as someone once said. Glad I am in such good company.

charlotte37830 02-22-2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5876377)
I hoarded a couple of particular pieces for over 8 years because (when I bought it) it was SO BEAUTIFUL. One day I found the pieces in a stack of purples I was looking through and realized I didn't even LIKE it any more!:rolleyes: What a waste, because I couldn't think of a way to use it then. That stuff is still in the stash. Sitting there. Not being used. Frowning at me. Dang!

Jan in VA

Jan, this is what I did too. So my advice is if you like it, use it now so it doesn't go to waste later.

charsuewilson 02-22-2013 11:52 AM

The last 4 quilts I've started have been all from my stash. Still doesn't seem to make a dent.