Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   using used fabric softener sheets for foundation piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-used-fabric-softener-sheets-foundation-piecing-t267677.html)

mtkoldra 07-17-2015 10:30 AM

using used fabric softener sheets for foundation piecing

would like an opinion on using used fabric softener sheets for foundation piecing.... is it a good idea to use them for a quilt? or for small items only?
thank you

quiltingcandy 07-17-2015 10:38 AM

Too many of mine are too distorted to try and use. I would rather use muslin or paper.

Some people are concerned about residual chemicals left in them - not sure if that matters since I use them in my dryer, the chemicals are already in my clothes with no problems.

Melanie Rudy 07-17-2015 10:53 AM

I have used the dryer sheet appliqué technique and I really like it. With this method you wash the dryer sheets before using them. Haven't tried dryer sheets for foundation piecing, but now I want to :) The dryer sheet appliqué is sturdy and my quilts have been washed successfully.

Tartan 07-17-2015 12:22 PM

Try ironing your sheets first. If the shrink up or curl up then I wouldn't use them. I saved the fabric sheets that covered my new couch for foundation piecing. When I ironed one block the " fabric" was like a shrinky dink.
If yours iron okay then go ahead.

ManiacQuilter2 07-17-2015 02:17 PM

There have been previous posts on this subject. I prefer using paper printing out my instructions using EQ7. I just use cheap paper.

GagaSmith 07-17-2015 05:37 PM

I have used them only once for applique flowers and leaves in the border of a quilt. I am pleased with the way it turned out but have not washed to quilt so can't answer to that.

Peckish 07-17-2015 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7259925)
There have been previous posts on this subject.

Agreed. You are welcome to do a search and read many more opinions on the matter.

I made about half a quilt with fabric softener sheets before I quit. The smell was just way too strong and was making me ill, and I do not have any chemical sensitivities or allergies. And yes, the sheets WERE used and washed. I might have been able to get through it if I hadn't been pressing anything, but it's a quilt - pressing is almost mandatory when making a quilt!

Sandygirl 07-18-2015 03:23 AM

I won't even use them in the dryer....can't stand them. DH puts opened boxes in the old cars that he has in the out buildings. Even mice hate them! Lol! So....my answer is no.
sandy

luvstoquilt 07-18-2015 05:14 AM

I use "Sewer paper" available at Home Depot or a similar store in the section that sell sewer pipes. It comes in a HUGE roll of about 30 yards for about $30 and beats anything I have ever tried for applique. I sew it on the back of the piece and then turn it. It is so easy to attach to my piece I am constructing. I simply love it!

tessagin 07-18-2015 05:29 AM

I use the unscented dryer sheets from Seventh Generation. You can tear off a whole sheet or a half sheet. Half sheet will go through at least 2 large loads and another medium load. They are already perforated for ventilation I guess. I like to use these for scrappy bindings. The sheet are 6" wide and can be split in half for a 3" scrap binding like adding machine tape or register paper. They curl up so I just smooth them out and place under or in a book. My favorite for paper foundation is cheap tissue paper for gift wrapping. Usually comes in 20x30" sheets so that gives you 6 10" layer cakes.