Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using a wedge ruler HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-wedge-ruler-help-t172009.html)

doodledo 12-14-2011 08:52 AM

Using a wedge ruler HELP

Oh boy! I am trying to make a tree skirt. The instructions say to cut 6 strips from 9 fabrics and make a strata. Then take an 18: 9 degree wedge ruler and cut the wedges. Well the wedge ruler doesnt go to the end of my stratas. If this makes any sense, uuugh. It says lay on edge, cut, flip ruler, lay on same edge and cut. Well I have 3 pieces of different material on the strata that isnt under the ruler. What am I doing wrong? The ruler says mini #3. Is this right?

Krisb 12-14-2011 08:57 AM

It sounds like your ruler is shorter then the strata from which you are cutting. Is that right? How wide is the strata after sewing? How long is the ruler?

doodledo 12-14-2011 09:01 AM

The ruler says 18" but it starts at 3". My stratas are 22" long.

Sadiemae 12-14-2011 12:43 PM

You could take the ruler you have and make a template with it. Just take a ruler and draw the outside lines to make it longer.

nativetexan 12-14-2011 01:19 PM

find out how wide your 22 inch wedge should be at the larger end and make yourself a template that long. lots of quilters have to do that rather than buy a longer ruler. good luck.

susie-susie-susie 12-14-2011 01:24 PM

Take a 6 x 12 inch ruler and butt it against the wedge ruler. That will give you the length you need to cut the strips. I do
that all the time. I have a 24 inch ruler that I rarely use. I don't like the long ones. I use 2 6 x 12 inch rulers and can cut any length of strip. Good luck with your tree skirt.
Sue

doodledo 12-14-2011 01:41 PM

I thought about making it longer. But then when I end up at the bottom it makes to big of a block. Is that how it is suppose to be? lol. I could pull my hair out! I did some research and I didnt know they made 9 degree rulers in different lengths.
So the question of the day is: how do I know how big the bottom of the ruler should be?

Holice 12-14-2011 01:45 PM

extend it with a yardstock or other ruler. You can lay your existing ruler down and another beside it and mark the stitching line and add the 1/4" Or go to the home store and have them cut you a longer wedge.

doodledo 12-14-2011 01:53 PM

I knew I shouldnt have waited until the last minute!! lol

So I lay the 9 degree ruler at the top and then place another one on the side of it and thats my template?

Thanks for all your help

Freddie 12-14-2011 03:52 PM

I just got one too. The way I see it, is that if you want the circle to be larger than 36 inches, you have to add to the side with the 18 inch mark. Just extend the sides., or tape a piece of card stock on and draw the same increments as you have. This will make it wider at the outside and you'll have a bigger circle. The 3 inch mark is where the hole will be. For a 36 inch circle your strata only has to be 15 1/2 inches wide. The width of your wedge ruler.(if your strips go straight up and down. If you want to angle your strips, then you have to have a wider strata. you'll
You'll have a 6 inch diameter hole with 15 inch of material on each side for a total of 36 inch.