Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Utility Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/utility-quilts-t34196.html)

billsgirl 01-15-2010 07:56 AM

Can someone please help me? I need clear and simple to follow directions on making utility quilts out of old clothes i.e. twill pants, blazers, etc...I am totally clueless! I am aware of the fact that you don't sew cordoroy to a piece of wool but beyond that I am clueless as stated earlier! Help!
And thank you.
Bill's Girl

isnthatodd 01-15-2010 09:36 AM

When I do a utility quilt, I try to follow only a couple of guidelines. 1-make sure all the fabrics have the same washing directions. 2-make sure the fabrics are about the same weight. I would stay away from sections that already show a lot of wear, and from fabrics that have a great tendency to fray. Other than that, I have been known to use almost anything. Have fun with it. :)

butterflywing 01-15-2010 10:16 AM

if they're heavy , tie them off.

Ditter43 01-15-2010 10:19 AM

I agree with Cathy.on mixing fabrics and weights...PLUS....have fun with it!
Ditter

sewnsewer2 01-15-2010 10:31 AM

What is a utility quilt?

billsgirl 01-15-2010 01:34 PM

A utility quilt is a quilt like they used to make in the old days out of used clothing. It was constructed with one thing in mind, warmth! They weren't usually pretty, just something to ward off the cold. If you look up utility quilts on the internet you will find all kinds of quilt history. I just don't know how to go about it! I have all kinds of used clothing that I would like to put to use.

Bill's Girl

billsgirl 01-15-2010 01:41 PM

OK ladies. That was very sweet of you to reply, but I'm still clueless! Do I make a top, lets say of twill for instance the regular way I would if it were new fabric and then take an old blanket and tie them together? Then bind it? I feel like I am missing something here. I told you I was clueless!!!

Bill's Girl

Tiffany 01-15-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by billsgirl
OK ladies. That was very sweet of you to reply, but I'm still clueless! Do I make a top, lets say of twill for instance the regular way I would if it were new fabric and then take an old blanket and tie them together? Then bind it? I feel like I am missing something here. I told you I was clueless!!!

Bill's Girl

Just make it like you would a regular quilt using new fabrics. I wouldn't get too fancy with the design since it's a utility quilt, but otherwise it's the same process.

sewnsewer2 01-15-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by billsgirl
A utility quilt is a quilt like they used to make in the old days out of used clothing. It was constructed with one thing in mind, warmth! They weren't usually pretty, just something to ward off the cold. If you look up utility quilts on the internet you will find all kinds of quilt history. I just don't know how to go about it! I have all kinds of used clothing that I would like to put to use.

Bill's Girl

Thanks. I thought it was to put on the ground to lay on for the guys to work on cars.

:oops:

billsgirl 01-15-2010 01:58 PM

Whew! Them are fightin' words! LOL! Sounds just like something they would do!
Bill's Girl