Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vaccuum ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vaccuum-ideas-t243501.html)

Kat Sews 03-19-2014 03:52 PM

I use the long pointy lid from a Mustard bottle on the end of the shop vac hose to clean my sewing machines, keyboards and any other small crevices. I also use a pipe cleaner bent in half to brush our the lint around feed dogs each time I change the bobbin.

joyce888 03-19-2014 05:28 PM

I use a tool set made for computers. It's sized to fit a standard vacuum and has many tools to get in very small places. I found the set at WalMart in the hardware section and the cost is about $10.

jitkaau 03-20-2014 03:19 AM

I have small attachments that I fit onto my regular vacuum. They are sold at most of thequilt shows that I go to.

celwood 03-20-2014 03:33 AM

I have tile in my sewing room. I first run a dry Swiffer and then use an Oreck. Seems to work fine. If I need to find pins I just ask my husband to come in bare footed. For some reason he is the one that seems to find all of the pins I drop...LOL

Amythyst02 03-20-2014 03:58 AM

Well I have the small brush attachment set, that attaches to your reg vaccuum cleaner. And I have managed to burn up the vaccuum cleaner. This particular one, for some reason when you are using attachments the beater brush still goes around. Sadly they do not go around at all now. So right now I have no vaccuum, and I have been using a eye shadow brush to clean out my machine. Its works pretty well, but I did notice yesterday some of the brisells (SPCK) were coming out of it.

So I am going to start looking for a new vaccum so I will be watching this thread alot!!

citruscountyquilter 03-20-2014 04:15 AM

I have an assortment of brushes that I got at Harbor Freight. One set I know is for cleaning out the nozzles of air compressor attachments. Can't remember what the others said they were for. In any event, they are great for cleaning all the nooks and crannies of the sewing machine. I have a set in my kitchen as well for little places on drink bottles etc. My husband uses them to detail the car. I never vacuum my machine but after reading the posts I probably should.

Dodie 03-20-2014 05:13 AM

if you need a vacuum for your house beware of the shark navigator in some ways it is nice but if you use it in the sewing room where threads wind around the brush or pet hair you cannot clean the roller brush my first one ruined the head in a matter of months and they did send me another one this is the same I called and ask how to clean the brush and they said no way it will not open so I am looking for a new light weight vacuum so any ideas would alsp be appreciated thanks

Latrinka 03-20-2014 05:49 AM

Not a vacuum, but don't forget about pipe cleaners, they really grab dust and lint!

Stashelf 03-20-2014 05:56 AM

I use a pipe cleaner, it gets all the threads and lint. As far as the floor in my sewing room the molly maids do that.

maviskw 03-20-2014 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6634459)
I just use my regular vacuum with attachments. I have a knee high that is attached on the end with a rubber band to catch any small parts.

Those knee high nylons work great. Our foster children lost a really small die for the Mah Jongg set down the furnace register. I put the nylon on the end of the vacuum wand with a rubber band and put that down the register. Found it!