Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The value in your work (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/value-your-work-t97836.html)

Queen Deb 02-08-2011 08:35 AM

I have a question... How do you value your work?
After wandering around here for a couple of weeks I began to wonder a bit about what 'making a quilt' means to people.

Is the value in the process- creating pattern, sewing, quilting, or is it the finished project?
Do you see quilting as an artistic expression or a project?

What makes this process/medium/hobby appeal to you and what makes it satisfying?

the casual quilter 02-08-2011 08:46 AM

Quilting speaks to my soul. The process, even the mistakes, is something that satisfies me. I don't know why. I'm not terribly creative, nor am I a terrific piecer. I'm average. But I love it. I have to say that the value of my work is the pleasure I get from it.

buckyfan19 02-08-2011 08:55 AM

I guess my inspiration for my quilts is what I really enjoy. I don't like a quilt to take too long to complete. If it takes too long, I loose interest, or become too critical in my work.
I enjoy the projects that "speak" to me the most. Sometimes it is because I am excited about the gift it will be once it is complete, or sometimes it is the fabric that I love and I just have to find the right pattern for it.
My inspiration comes from many places.
Also, it is my "break" from the real world. It takes me to a more simplistic place where I can just put pieces of fabric together and make these amazing looking products. I don't need to worry about being a Mom, a boss, a wife, a daughter, or any of those things, I just sew and think of how neat and satisified I am with the outcome.

Hen3rietta 02-08-2011 09:12 AM

I have to agree with the casual quilter on this. For me it's the process that brings be satisfaction. Don't get me wrong, I like a beautiful final product, but if I only complete one quilt a year or even less, it is irrelevant. I joined a UFO challenge a couple of years back and realized that it was nice to have peer encouragement to finish projects that had been languishing, but I wasn't getting any pleasure from it, merely frustration. So now I have my own personal UFO and WIP tracking system which I find encourages me, but doesn't pressure me.
Diana

Mariposa 02-08-2011 09:19 AM

I'd say quilting is my "therapy", along with a few other crafts. It is something that I do for me. No one else meddles with it, and I get the satisfaction of being creative and having something to show for it. I usually have several projects going at the same time too. I have UFO's, nut work on them when the mood strikes me! :)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2011 09:35 AM

I make quilts because I like to make quilts. It is relaxing (except when it is exasperating!)

pumpkinpatchquilter 02-08-2011 09:36 AM

I think the value lies in all of those areas you mentioned...the artistry, the skill, the materials, the product...you just can't buy a quilt at Walmart like one that is hand made. You might be able to get a pretty throw or bed quilt that will last you a few years, but some day when you are at a department store look closely at those quilts. Then compare them to just a simple bed quilt at the next quilt show you attend. A well made quilt will out live even the prettiest Queen sized made in Indonesia comforter, and it has the added bonus of love and intent within its stitches. ;)

sewwhat85 02-08-2011 10:43 AM

i just love the process from start to finish

bamamama 02-08-2011 11:06 AM

It is a creative outlet that has a beautiful ending. It also keeps my retired mind active.

SuziC 02-08-2011 11:23 AM

Since i donate my baby quilts, for me the value is leaving the hospital knowing that i have brightened someones day! I love to design, piece, and quilt each one as if they were my own. They become "my babies". There is no value or price i could name for the feeling i get knowing they are going to comfort a sick child and thier parents. I could never charge a price for that.
For me, quilting has become my way of "giving back" in some small way.