Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vellum blanket as batting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vellum-blanket-batting-t254087.html)

SandyinZ4 09-20-2014 06:36 PM

Vellum blanket as batting???

Wondering if any of you have used old vellum blankets as batting and how they hold up. Someone gave me 3 king-size ones, freshly washed. They seem to be nice and warm (have a sort of foam core with warm fuzzy stuff on both sides) and would not be really heavy. Any suggestions or recommendations yea or nay???

roguequilter 09-20-2014 07:07 PM

i loved the vellum blanket i bought. until it started falling apart. after about a dozen years little chunks of the foam started coming out of the mesh weave. once it started, it deteriorated rapidly. so, i would never use a vellum blanket as a batt, not even in a utility quilt. it makes a huge mess when the foam starts coming out.

gale 09-20-2014 07:10 PM

Do you mean a vellux blanket? I've heard of vellum paper but never heard of vellum blankets. If it's vellux you mean, I bet that would make a really warm quilt!

eta: just read the post above mine and that is a good point. I remember them not holding up after too many washes.

Peckish 09-20-2014 07:16 PM

I had the same experience. Sandwiching and quilting it would probably keep it somewhat stable, but I'd be afraid it would still fall apart and the crumbs would bunch up inside the quilting lines.

SandyinZ4 09-20-2014 07:43 PM

Sounds like they would not be good for quilt batting. Thanks for input. After all the work of making top and backing, I want them to last. :-) You all are great! P.S. I think I should have typed Vellux instead of vellum, too. :-(

GrannieAnnie 09-20-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 (Post 6897409)
Wondering if any of you have used old vellum blankets as batting and how they hold up. Someone gave me 3 king-size ones, freshly washed. They seem to be nice and warm (have a sort of foam core with warm fuzzy stuff on both sides) and would not be really heavy. Any suggestions or recommendations yea or nay???

I love them as blankets, but when they get old, they just about disintegrate. I'd not use one in a quilt I valued. Maybe for a kiddo's blanket I knew would be well used and short lived.

DACO48 09-20-2014 08:01 PM

Mine fell apart too.

judy363905 09-20-2014 08:09 PM

Yep, all of a sudden one morning we woke up and my husband's side of the blanket had separated we could not believe it. We saw that mesh like layer between and the outside parts just separated . I would not use them. :(

Judy in Phx, AZ

JustAbitCrazy 09-21-2014 04:40 AM

So that's why my mom's blankets look like an animal chewed them around the sides! Had me wondering, since they are seldom used, just sitting folded on a shelf. Too bad. They're such nice blankets at first.

joyce888 09-21-2014 04:51 AM

Another negative is they cannot be dried on high or medium high heat, they will melt. Wonder how I know this?