Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vertical or Horizontal block piecing -- Help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vertical-horizontal-block-piecing-help-t96167.html)

jme 02-03-2011 12:46 PM

I sew which ever way is shorter.

sewwhat85 02-03-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I chain sew in vertical rows and never clip the threads. The threads act like pins for the horizontal rows. This is how Eleanor Burns does it and I copy off of her a lot.

this is how i do it also

EasyPeezy 02-03-2011 01:48 PM

I've tried both ways. I think I'm with scissor queen about less bulk that goes
through the machine when you do by 4 patch and keeping everything square.
I press all my seams open then I don't have to worry about direction. :)

I'd say there is no right or wrong...just whatever works for you.

theresa.redington 02-03-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I sew blocks in rows horizontally. Then I sew rows in twosies, then foursies, etc...

This is how I sew mine too :D:D:D

Ditto! :o)

Rabbit 02-03-2011 03:57 PM

This is one of those moments when I say "Duh". Why didn't I see that before? Thanks!

fabric whisperer 02-03-2011 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I don't sew rows at all. I sew the blocks into giant 4 patches and then the giant 4 patches together until I have the quilt in 4 quarters. Then I sew the top quarters together and the bottom quarters together. You only have one full width seam that way. Plus the quilt comes out squarer overall.

I just started doing this too, and I agree, it makes for a squarer finished piece! (Thanks Rhonda for the suggestion!)

spartan quilter 02-03-2011 06:18 PM

I don't sew rows at all. I sew the blocks into giant 4 patches and then the giant 4 patches together until I have the quilt in 4 quarters. Then I sew the top quarters together and the bottom quarters together. You only have one full width seam that way. Plus the quilt comes out squarer overall.

I have never done this method, but know that I am going to use it on my next quilt. It sounds a lot easier. And I am for easy. Thanks for the tip.

quiltingnonie 02-03-2011 08:32 PM

This is the method I use also....if the pattern allows 4 quarters.

Momsmurf 02-03-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I chain sew in vertical rows and never clip the threads. The threads act like pins for the horizontal rows. This is how Eleanor Burns does it and I copy off of her a lot.

I've always done it this way also.
If I have to stop before I finish joining all the blocks, what I have finished goes on the design wall and I take that opportunity to double check placement.
Works for me.

IBQUILTIN 02-03-2011 09:13 PM

I've always done rows, but I sure like the idea of doing it in quarters. Thanx guys for the tip. Bet its easier to handle