Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Very Best Things About Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-best-things-about-sewing-t74777.html)

Mortymts 11-06-2010 09:51 PM

My mom taught me to sew as a child and told me one day, "Everyone should have a hobby they love because a good hobby is like being with your best friend, always there for you, good times or bad." For me, my sewing has always been "MY" place that gives me energy and lifts me up whether it is a garment for myself, a special gift for someone or even just re-organizing my fabric. On a bad day it grounds me and on a good day my imagination just flows. I just have to pick up a piece of fabric and my sense of peaceful creativity returns. So if we take away our tendency to strive for the perfect stitch or prize winning quilts what is it that we all love so much.

What is your very best thing or memory or experience of sewing and quilting?

Sadiemae 11-06-2010 10:13 PM

My favorite memories of sewing and quilting were those with my Mom. I miss her so much. Today would have been her birthday and I was quite blue, but I have good memories.

Gina_D 11-06-2010 10:29 PM

I remember my Mom making a quilt & using the bed to lay it out & work on it. I never realized how hard that must have been until I started quilting myself. I miss her too & wish she could have seen what she inspired in me!

sew_southern 11-06-2010 10:42 PM

I also believe everyone should have a hobby, I've taught my DD's this as well.
Idle hands can get a person in trouble. :)

MadQuilter 11-06-2010 10:59 PM

When I tackle something that is particularly hard (or persnickety) and I trudge on and succeed and learn - my hobby makes me grow as a person, as an artist, and it is such a feeling of accomplishment. Nothing else compares to it.

scowlkat 11-06-2010 11:25 PM

When I am sewing, I get a "runner's high" and lose myself completely. I have been known to lose track of time and sew all day until I can barely stand up! It gives me a feeling of accomplishment and connection with my loved ones who are no longer here.

Iluv2quilt 11-06-2010 11:41 PM

My favorite memories are spending time 'til the wee hours of the morning stitching clothes with my Grama's Singer on their back porch in the Summertime. Boy I sure miss them, thanks for bringing those memories back :-D .

MadQuilter 11-06-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Iluv2quilt
My favorite memories are spending time 'til the wee hours of the morning stitching clothes with my Grama's Singer on their back porch in the Summertime. Boy I sure miss them, thanks for bringing those memories back :-D .

I remember rolling tobacco with my Grandpa....but I guess that was a different hobby. lol

Becky Crafts 11-06-2010 11:55 PM

My crafts also ground me. They are my stress release & when I'm away from them for any length of time I get very tense. No matter how badly my body hurts, a good day is one where I've accomplished something with my crafts; whether it's drawing up an original pattern for something or making headway on a project. Favorite memories are of my girls standing over me, asking, "Is it done yet?" as I made them special items because they couldn't wait to wear them.

SuziC 11-07-2010 03:47 AM

My best experience with sewing is when i try something new and manage to complete it without stress! It a real sense of accomplishment for me. Then there is the "cleaning up the sewing area" I do that to get inspiration for the next project.