Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very disappointed in Quilt in a Day, loved Fat Quarters Quilt Shop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-disappointed-quilt-day-loved-fat-quarters-quilt-shop-t62639.html)

redvette54 09-02-2010 03:14 AM

I just have to ask a silly question. Is this store part of a chain? I work in a small "mom and pop" business (nothing quilting related") and its our personalized service has kept us in business since 1972 and any worker that would be rude to a customer, wouldn't be working for us very long. I understand why you did what you did, but the owner does need to know. There are alot of people who would take that job. We had over 200 people apply for a part time recepsionist job, of course we are in Michigan. just my 2 cents.

patricej 09-02-2010 04:00 AM

that isn't a silly question at all. ;-)

Quilt in a Day is owned by Eleanor Burns, a world famous quilter, pattern designer, author, and vendor of fabrics. The shop operates as both a brick & mortar operation and through two websites.

as big and busy as they are, i think it's fair to assume the employees - being human - make mistakes from time to time.

as big and famous as she is, i thinks it's also safe to assume that Eleanor (or one of her representatives with authority) would do her best to correct or to mitigate those mistakes if she knows about them.

Favorite Fabrics 09-02-2010 04:55 AM

I agree that it's important to let the business owner when there is a problem.

Being in business myself... though I never enjoy hearing that there was a problem, every time there is a problem reported to me, I view it as learning opportunity. We (the staff) have a chance to talk about it, figure out how it happened, and consider whether we can put a new policy or procedure in place to make sure that particular problem never happens again.

In this particular case, it seems that a brief employee training session might have been all that was needed.

litacats 09-02-2010 05:48 AM

Customer relations are very important in any business and if there is a problem you should take it up with managment, ASAP I know in our business we replace or rectify anything that maybe faulty it is more important to have a good reputation than a bad one.

akrogirl 09-02-2010 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
sorry ... but as soon as you handed over your money you kept the problem going.

you made a choice.

i am, personally, not upset. i'm pretty sure, though, that Eleanor Burns would not appreciate your public implication that she and her employees don't care about us.

If I went to management over ever bad shopping experience these days, I would have no life left and, sorry, but there simply are occasions when my time is the more valuable factor - yesterday was one of those occasions. I just did not have time to spend arguing with an assistant. However, since you clearly are bothered by my actions, I have written to the store and detailed my experience with them.

patricej 09-02-2010 06:35 AM

i sympathize over the fact that you made a choice that didn't serve your own best interests. been there, done that - way more often that i'd ever want to count or admit.

i empathize with your reluctance to accept your share of the responsibility for the results. that's a very human thing to feel. i don't know many people who enjoy realizing and admitting they've made a mistake.

i relate to your desire for sympathy and commisseration. most of us want that when we are unhappy.

whether or not you give them the chance to make you happy with them is your choice.

i am not "bothered" by anything except the fact that you slammed the whole company and its owner(s) in front of thousands of people on the internet without having given them a fair chance to make it right.

word of mouth is a powerful thing. we should all be careful how we use it.