Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A very easy way to make ruffles..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-easy-way-make-ruffles-t204715.html)

Lyncat 11-01-2012 05:34 AM

I know that "old timer" method and have used it for years, but I love the ruffler foot. It's so quick and easy to use it to gather and attach the ruffle in one step! Great for baby girl clothes.

Grace MooreLinker 11-01-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5625581)
I was taught to do two rows of basting (similar to this method), for gathering. Pin each end, to seam line. Then fold to center of ruffle, matching center of seam line. Pin. Then fold to center of each piece, between pins. Match and pin. Depending upon the expanse to be sewn, this may be done several more times, before adjusting ruffles and sewing together. Been sewing over 50 years.

this is alsothe way I was taught at least 50+ years ago.

kellen46 11-01-2012 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL (Post 5625437)
Check your instructions on your serger. My serger will make ruffles. That would have been the easiest of all.

So does mine, however the gathers are not adjustable and this method is. The advantage is you can adjust the ruffle to the base fabric very easily, as opposed to having to figure out a ratio of fullness of gather to length of base fabric. When you are sewing the ruffle into a curved seam that can be a tricky calculation. Isn't it great we have so many techniques available to our sewing needs.

clean 11-01-2012 06:34 AM

I just put a ruffle around a whole quilt lately and I just zig zagged over some cotton sheen thread and it worked great. I didn't have to worry about the thread breaking and when I sewed the to the quilt I just pulled the thicker thread out.

MimiBug123 11-01-2012 09:26 AM

I was taught the "2 rows of stitching" many, many years ago. It has always worked for me and I adhere to the theory--if it isn't broken, then don't fix it!

LadyElisabeth 11-01-2012 09:30 AM

Isn't it great, that's how I've been doing it for years.

pokeyscorner 11-01-2012 12:06 PM

I too do ruffles the way Neesie does them. Started by sewing a pair of slippers from washcloths & that was 57 yrs ago!!
My goodness time flies.:D:thumbup:

Bottle Laker 11-01-2012 01:53 PM

This is the way I was taught also, many years ago.

Originally Posted by pinecone (Post 5626324)
My method too and I had to think, I too have been sewing over 50 years!! *gasp*

piney

xstitchcchris 11-01-2012 04:29 PM

I like Stitchnripper's idea of sewing over a piece of floss or thread...seems like it would take a lot less time.

maviskw 11-01-2012 07:38 PM

When I first learned to make set in sleeves, (in 1948!), we pinned the top of the sleeve cap to the seam line. There usually was a notch there, pinned the notches on front and back, then put pins in all around the cap of the sleeve, dividing in half each time, adding pins until they were about 1/4 inch apart, and then sewed on the seam line, making sure there were no puckers. A little steam and a few rubs with a thumb nail, and the sleeve was in perfectly with no pleats. I was very grateful when I learned to sew two rows of stitching around the top of the sleeve to gather in the top. A few less pins to pick me!
I raised four girls, and wore out my Singer ruffler. In 1978, I started square dancing, and the most fun thing about that was making all those beautiful skirts, with lots of ruffles. Sometimes I sewed ruffles onto the skirt in one step. I'm still wearing some of those ruffles, as I still square dance every chance I get. I love making ruffles.