Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very Heavy quilt ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-heavy-quilt-t111276.html)

familyfun 03-27-2011 05:03 PM

I am getting ready to start a Dear Jane quilt as soon as the software comes. I can remember when I was little I would go stay all night with grandmothers and friends grandmothers or other relatives and the quilts they had always seemed very heavy. I love that heavy quilt feeling when sleeping. The quilts I make today with poly or warm and natural do not have that very heavy feeling. Does anyone know what I can use to get that feeling? Do you think I could use a Double layer of batting?
Has anyone ever tried that ? (I am going to hand quilt)
Hope you dont think I am strange. LOL...

Pickles 03-27-2011 05:06 PM

They may have been using wool Batting , that well make them heavy. :D

patcummings 03-27-2011 05:06 PM

Some of the very heavy quilts were stuffed with an old quilt or wool blanket(s) and were tied, not quilted. Wool batting would give more of a heft to your quilt and be warmer.

jaciqltznok 03-27-2011 05:08 PM

double warm and natural might work, but the key to those old quilts being heavy was the fabric...most of the time they pieced scraps onto old flour/sugar sacks and the backing was the same, bleached out flour/sugar sacks that were made of grid iron muslin! That fabric made for a heavy quilt!
and some times if up North they used old wool blankets for batting, and sometimes even another old quilt!
I have seen it all....

the only heavier quilt is denim/flannel or polyester from the 60's! yikes is it heavy..hehehe

Vicki W 03-27-2011 05:08 PM

I remember well the weight of quilts when visiting my grandparents. Some winters I slept under 4-5 quilts. They were batted with cotton, most of the time the quilter made the batting as well. I can't remember hearing anyone talk about how they made them. Have any of you. I suspect the other materials were heavier as well.

You might get the 'feel' you are looking by using two battings or I believe there are heavier ones available.

MaryStoaks 03-27-2011 05:08 PM

The heaviest quilt I've ever made was made with a matress pad for batting. One of my sons loves it.

mizkyp 03-27-2011 05:14 PM

I doulbled warm and natural batting. It was warm and heavy. With wool batting does it get washed in a washing machine or does it have to be dry cleaned?

familyfun 03-27-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pickles
They may have been using wool Batting , that well make them heavy. :D

Is wool batting hard to quilt thru ??

yellowsnow55 03-27-2011 05:41 PM

Are you sure, it wasn't just because you were small and the quilts might have seemed heavier?

familyfun 03-27-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
Are you sure, it wasn't just because you were small and the quilts might have seemed heavier?

I thought of that.. I wonder if you are right.