Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very interesting but true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-interesting-but-true-t255925.html)

teddysmom 10-27-2014 05:40 AM

Very interesting but true

At our last guild meeting a new member introduced herself as a "Piecer". She said she pieces all her uilt tops and then sends them to a friend to quilt. Since she has never actually quilted a top, she said she is a piecer. If I grow a lot of green beans in my garden and then give them to a friend to can for me, am I a grower or a canner. If I piece a quilt but send it out to be quilted, I have not participated in the quilting process. I know many of you "quilters" will disagree but sitting a a field of hay does not make me a farmer but a sitter.

DOTTYMO 10-27-2014 05:51 AM

If she only does the top surly she is a patchworker. M local group is called Staffordshire Patchworkers and Quilters.
Patchworking is joining the patches together and quilting is sandwiching and quilting layers together.

luana 10-27-2014 06:19 AM

What an interesting thought. Kind of off the subject, but I was in a group where a gal introduced herself as a beginner. She said she began lots of projects that never got done.:)

ManiacQuilter2 10-27-2014 06:25 AM

I very seldom machine quilt any more due to my disability except for small project. I think a quilter can just piece a top and pass it on to someone who just enjoys quilting tops. I consider them BOTH quilters in my mind.

SueSew 10-27-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by luana (Post 6945458)
What an interesting thought. Kind of off the subject, but I was in a group where a gal introduced herself as a beginner. She said she began lots of projects that never got done.:)

Luana that is so funny! If well-begun is half done, then she is halfway through, not just the beginning! LOL

QuiltnNan 10-27-2014 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 6945407)
If she only does the top surly she is a patchworker. M local group is called Staffordshire Patchworkers and Quilters.
Patchworking is joining the patches together and quilting is sandwiching and quilting layers together.

i love the group name!

QuiltnNan 10-27-2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by luana (Post 6945458)

this seems to be me lately

#1piecemaker 10-27-2014 06:44 AM

Piecing a quilt is the most important part in the makings of a good quilt. If she does that well, she can consider herself a quilter. I once worked in a sewing factory that made gloves. We each sewed different pieces onto the gloves as an assembley line. But, the finished product was a glove. We were considered glove makers even though we only were responsible for one section of the glove. Am I making sense?

toverly 10-27-2014 06:50 AM

That is so true. I love the piecing but drag my feet at the quilting. I do it but it is my least favorite part.

MaryMo 10-27-2014 06:56 AM

I like to do the creating part of a quilt; I have lots of blocks laying around here and there that may never find their way to a quilt. I even buy orphan blocks at estate sales and garage sales. Does that make me a blocker or blockmaker?