Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very last trip to Hancocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-last-trip-hancocks-t280635.html)

slbram17 07-21-2016 12:25 PM

Very last trip to Hancocks

One remaining store and it will close in four days. Decided to go one last time. Very very little left, I did look for quilting cottons but there were none to be had. Some university logo cottons (maybe cotton). I did pick up some betweens needle, size 10, to use with my applique. Tiny little pins with tiny holes, but I was able to use size 50 ootton thread with them. They were forty cents for the package of Dritz Gold Eye betweens, size 10.

Also picked up some snaps and snap sets. I like to use them when I make fabric purses, and I always waste a few since I am not that good.
Other than that, picked up some nylon cord that looks very similar to what we have used to re string our blinds (the strings have broken occasionally.) One of the staff thought there was 800 yards or so in the bolt.

One of the staff said she was offered a part time job in a newly opened quilt shop, so that was good to hear. The other staffer (young) had not found another job.

So sad for employees and for customers. The opinion of the lady who has found the job was the bankruptcy was nto from lack of customers, but poor management practices.

Gonna miss this store.

SherriB 07-21-2016 12:40 PM

I went into our Hancock Fabrics a couple days ago. It was almost completely bare. They had a display of buttons left and another display of odd and seldom used sewing notions. They had one small display of flannel and I bought some of that for quilt backings. It makes me really sad to lose our store. Some of the employees have been there for years. I wanted to ask if they found another job but I didn't have the heart to ask. Our store will officially close tomorrow I think.

Homespun 07-21-2016 01:05 PM

Ours closed 2 months ago. We had Hobby Lobby and JoAnns come in recently. Our ladies started a quilting store of their own but it is a long distance from the former Hancocks.

slbram17 07-21-2016 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Homespun (Post 7607594)
Ours closed 2 months ago. We had Hobby Lobby and JoAnns come in recently. Our ladies started a quilting store of their own but it is a long distance from the former Hancocks.

Right now just empty holes in the small shopping centers.

RedGarnet222 07-21-2016 04:49 PM

When the mother died the father turned it over to the kids and they ended up in court. The judge ordered it into bankruptcy to satisfy the debts.

I went a total of four times during the sales of the two stores in my area. I bought everything from a new clip on Ott light to a free-standing hemmer, a few rulers, lots of thread, zippers, cording trims and tons patterns and booklets. The enormous amount fabric yardage I got was mostly cotton but some duck cloth, woolen blends, seersucker and some ultra- suede.

Hancock's was my favorite store and I just hated to see them go. I do have other places to shop for this type of sewing needs, but, to me they were the best and least expensive. I am sure the venders, shopkeepers and customers will all miss them being in business.

Teddybear Lady 07-21-2016 05:02 PM

I was able to buy some fabric for around $2.00 a yard during the liquidation. I passed by the store today and it is completely empty and shut down. So sad. We still have Hobby Lobby and Walmart to shop for fabric, but I will miss the ladies that worked at Hancock's. They always liked it when I would finish a quilt and take it to show them.

slbram17 07-21-2016 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 7607744)
When the mother died the father turned it over to the kids and they ended up in court. The judge ordered it into bankruptcy to satisfy the debts.

I went a total of four times during the sales of the two stores in my area. I bought everything from a new clip on Ott light to a free-standing hemmer, a few rulers, lots of thread, zippers, cording trims and tons patterns and booklets. The enormous amount fabric yardage I got was mostly cotton but some duck cloth, woolen blends, seersucker and some ultra- suede.

Hancock's was my favorite store and I just hated to see them go. I do have other places to shop for this type of sewing needs, but, to me they were the best and least expensive. I am sure the venders, shopkeepers and customers will all miss them being in business.

Hancocks was my go to store for heavier weight fabrics at reasonable prices, especially spot the bolt. I have only gone during this liquidation a few times because the liquidators prices were higher than what I could have gotten the material for at Hancocks sales.

Yes a lot of people are going through Hancocks withdrawal.

FairviewFarm 07-21-2016 07:05 PM

I've been told that JoAnn's is planning to move into communities where a Hancock Fabrics is closing but there isn't already a JoAnn's store. Sure enough when I checked JoAnn's website for job openings, the town where my local Hancock Fabrics is/was located is listed. Of the two I liked Hancock Fabrics better but if JoAnn's does come to town at least I'll have a source of sewing supplies where I can see and feel before purchasing (as compared to ordering online).

lindaschipper 07-22-2016 04:09 AM

Our local store closed months ago, personally I really don't miss them. Sure the fabric was a little better quality than JoAnn's, but the prices I thought were high. Personal were friendly enough and you could get fabric cut, but there was never anyone at the check out so you had to wait and wait. Good to know that others in different area's liked the store.

Jane Quilter 07-22-2016 04:17 AM

wish we would get a hobby lobby....i went to one in Texas & liked it.....here in Virginia havent seen one yet. we lost our hancocks 10 years ago.