Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Very Old Quilt Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/very-old-quilt-blocks-t34524.html)

belmer 01-21-2010 09:24 AM

This sounds like the best Idea ever.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-21-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Truthfully I would put them together and then hang this item behind protected glass.. make it something to look at but not wash and play with. If your family is larger maybe make four wall quilts not one big quilt and share with everyone a framed piece of the past as a gift at Christmas.

greaat idea.

nancya 01-21-2010 01:23 PM

Ugg, I still haven't got the pictures made yet but I did get them out of storage.

I plan on making my mother a memory quilt for Christmas this year. I am going to use old family photographs for the quilt blocks. Maybe I could add one of my Great Grandmothers block to to mix....hmmm.

I do like the idea of making a wall hanging or two. I don't want to make them into a large quilt because I am concerned about the weight.

I was looking at the blocks last night, her stitching was unbelievable...so perfect and even for doing it by hand and probably, gas lighting.

kdid82 01-21-2010 02:12 PM

I have some quilt blocks made by my grandmother before 1920 and was advised by a quilt appraiser to not make them into a quilt, but to make pictures of them or something that could go behind archival glass and to store the rest in archival tissue paper.

Mundy 01-21-2010 04:09 PM

tahnks for the cedar chest advice myself didnt know that so need to say I will be ren=moving them

Olivia's Grammy 01-21-2010 04:19 PM

I have some old blocks I bought at a yard sale. They are sewn to newspaper. They date back 12/37. I don't know what to do with them. I don't want to take them off the paper, bc there is so much info on the paper.

yourstrulyquilts 01-21-2010 04:21 PM

What a find!! To die for!!! Wow, I'm green. :hunf:

marymm 01-21-2010 04:31 PM

I had some quilt blocks made by my grandmother, who suffered from serious palsy. They were simple nine patches and I asked my mom to help me square them and correct some of the seams. Then I found some vintage-looking green and made sashing and borders. The quilt top is a very simple 9-patch. I decided to wait until my hand-quilting improves before I quilt it. Then I intend to get my son and grand-daughter to add a few stitches. I will put a label on back saying it was started in the 50s and finished (?) with work by five generations. For the record, I have been told by quilt historians that it is definitely a problem to store quilts in plastic. Instead, they should be wrapped in muslin or acid free paper and then stored in acid free boxes or in muslin or cotton pillow cases. Some people also store smaller ones between mattresses or stack them on beds, refolding often, if folded is needed. It's fun to fondle them occasionally so re-folding is not a problem.

yourstrulyquilts 01-21-2010 05:21 PM

Such sweet memories! I'm green. Again. :hunf: :hunf: You are right about the storage of quilts. I do feel ok when putting them in a plastic box, because it isn't air tight, and will allow the quilt, fabric, clothes, etc. to "breathe". If you wrap in plastic, the fabric can "sweat", and cause mildew.

According to my Guru.

nancya 01-21-2010 05:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures Great Grandmother's quilt blocks. This is just a small sampling of the blocks. They need to be pressed but I have been afraid to do that.

I still find it amazing that these are over a hundred years old.