Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Video Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/video-tutorials-t150456.html)

Airwick156 09-04-2011 07:26 PM

I have a question.

If....I save a tutorial from say youtube or wherever...to be able to watch it at another time...do I need to be connected to the internet? Or am I able to watch it without being on the internet? Or is there some way that I can watch it without the internet.

amandasgramma 09-04-2011 07:51 PM

You'll need the internet ---

cjomomma 09-04-2011 08:03 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I should play around with pc and see if I can save the video tuts right on my comp and watch them without having to connect to the Internet.

Airwick156 09-04-2011 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I was wondering the same thing. I should play around with pc and see if I can save the video tuts right on my comp and watch them without having to connect to the Internet.

Carrie you do that and then let me know. Because I would love to take my lap top to my sewing class and show tutorials to the ladies. So get busy young lady. I don't have all night. LOL J/k Would be cool if you can do it.

Sadiemae 09-04-2011 08:20 PM

I just tried this with RealPlayer. I didn't have to open the internet with DSL, but I don't know about other types of internet access. I don't know if it bypasses the internet or if it still has access with the DSL being hooked up all of the time.

EDIT: I unplugged the DSL, and without internet RealPlayer will play the downloaded videos. That is good news!!!

Airwick156 09-04-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I just tried this with RealPlayer. I didn't have to open the internet with DSL, but I don't know about other types of internet access. I don't know if it bypasses the internet or if it still has access with the DSL being hooked up all of the time.

EDIT: I unplugged the DSL, and without internet RealPlayer will play the downloaded videos. That is good news!!!

Oh cool now how do you get it to download into real player? I am really computer stupid. I know how to get to a few sites and thats about all.

Sadiemae 09-04-2011 08:58 PM

When I view a youtube video up towards the top of the page there is usually a little rectangle that says Download. If I click on it, it downloads into RealPlayer. If you don't have RealPlayer it will take someone who knows more than I do.

Cybrarian 09-04-2011 09:08 PM

Before anybody goes crazy downloading stuff please realize video files can use up alot of space on your hard drive. One solution is to get a flash drive ( also called a stick drive, a thumb drive or memory stick) it's the little doo hicky you save stuff on and it plugs into one of the little openings on the front of your computer or the side of your laptop. Staples has an 8 gig on sale for $10 or you can get bigger ones for a little more and save your video files on it instead of the computer itself. When you dont need the video anymore delete them so you can add more.

Airwick156 09-04-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Before anybody goes crazy downloading stuff please realize video files can use up alot of space on your hard drive. One solution is to get a flash drive ( also called a stick drive, a thumb drive or memory stick) it's the little doo hicky you save stuff on and it plugs into one of the little openings on the front of your computer or the side of your laptop. Staples has an 8 gig on sale for $10 or you can get bigger ones for a little more and save your video files on it instead of the computer itself. When you dont need the video anymore delete them so you can add more.

I have one of those doo hicky's. I will have to try it. Thank you so much for the information everyone.

quilter1430 09-04-2011 10:16 PM

There is lots of free software that allows you to download YouTube videos to your hard drive and then you can watch them anytime, with or without an Internet connection. I use Firefox as my browser, and they have lots of extras, like this, all for free. If you do have Firefox, check out DownloadHelper. It works for me.