Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking 6440 or Brother 1500? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-6440-brother-1500-a-t238863.html)

wannaquilt1 01-14-2014 10:40 PM

Viking 6440 or Brother 1500?

I have come across a Viking 6440 on Craigslist I can get at a really good price. He says it runs wonderfully but doesn't sew so he doesn't know if the cam's work etc. I was looking to get something I can quilt on easier and was thinking about getting the Brother 1500 straight stitch machine. Should I just go with the Brother? I guess the Viking has an 8" harp and the Brother is 9" does an inch make a big difference?

Stepney 01-14-2014 11:13 PM

I just bought (delivered yesterday!) the Brother 1500 and I love it! I've been sewing all afternoon working on a rag quilt and I'm in heaven! Although I've been sewing for a zillion years ( I'm 60 so it really does feel that long) this is the first quilt I've ever worked on and I can just feel the difference in my new Brother 1500 and any other machine I've ever used. It's a denim and flannel quilt so I'm going thru some layers!
I can not tell you about the Viking but I can say that right now with the Brother 1500 I am in heaven!!!!!

mea12 01-15-2014 05:01 AM

The 1" does seem to make a noticeable difference. The 6440 may be worth checking out but this seller doesn't sew so he may not be reliable in stating it runs wonderfully. It may need a service and if parts are needed now or in the future, they could be hard to find. This machine is nearing the end of its life-cycle unless extremely well-cared for. You may just need to check it out to know if its worth it to you.

Daylesewblessed 01-15-2014 05:20 AM

The Viking is a wonderful machine -- however, it can have hidden problems due to age. The dials tend to "freeze up" if not used regularly. The cam stack could be cracked, and there could be other age related problems. Depending on the price, it could be a good deal, but definitely needs to be checked out before laying out any cash.

Judi in Ohio 01-15-2014 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1 (Post 6513383)
I have come across a Viking 6440 on Craigslist I can get at a really good price. He says it runs wonderfully but doesn't sew so he doesn't know if the cam's work etc. I was looking to get something I can quilt on easier and was thinking about getting the Brother 1500 straight stitch machine. Should I just go with the Brother? I guess the Viking has an 8" harp and the Brother is 9" does an inch make a big difference?

If a straight stitch is what you are looking at don't forget the Juki 98 or 2010,or the f series. I had the Brother 1500, sold it and bought the Juki. Best machines ever.

profannie 01-15-2014 06:21 AM

If the camstack of the Viking 6440 haven't been replaced in the last few years, it will for sure have to be. I understand it was a common flaw of this model. It crack and end up not working. I have repair a few vintage sewing machine (Bernina, Singer) but I wasn't able to fix the Viking I got for cheap myself. Jut opening it was hard. If you buy one and end up having to bring it to a repairshop, it will be costly because they take more time than most to repair.
If you want to go vintage, why not looking at a Singer 15-91? If you don't mind the modern feature like thread cutting, needle up and down, you may be happy with it.

Candace 01-15-2014 08:01 AM

I've repaired those series Vikings and they're not the machine for you. They tend to need at least $150-$200 worth of parts and labor as they have issues that need addressing. The "self-lubrication" of these machines has turned to wax, typically making some of the knobs and buttons stuck. Forcing them means broken gears that are no longer available. If the cam doesn't work, that means it's cracked(they all crack due to age) and the part alone is $50. I have a couple vintage Vikings that I use rarely...they're just not great piecing machines. Get the Brother 1500 instead. You'd be much happier.

Yarn or Fabric 01-15-2014 02:17 PM

I also agree with going for the Brother. I have a Juki 2000 and adore it. I cringe at the thought of piecing on anything else but it. I love the speed. Once you get used to it, you'll be whipping out stuff faster than ever. I'm pretty sure the Brother sews just as fast as the Juki and probably has the same heavy duty to it. Before Xmas I made some ornaments and sewed through 18 layers of fabric and the Juki didn't even complain!!
Go for the newer machine. If you are looking online, check out Kens' Sewing in Muscle Shoals, AL (not affiliated with them. They just have good prices and very good customer service)

Peckish 01-15-2014 03:05 PM

I don't know anything about the Viking, but I have the Brother and it is my favorite machine out of the 7 that I own.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-15-2014 03:08 PM

I'm with Peckish. I don't know about the Viking, but the Brother 1500S is a great machine. I love it, too.