Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking - low shank machine question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-low-shank-machine-question-t155970.html)

incoming2me 09-26-2011 09:12 AM

My recently bought "new to me" Viking is a Rose.
I'm pretty sure this is a low-shank machine.
Having been a Singer girl for a long time, I have several several several low shank attachments.

Before I do something stupid and attempt to use one on the Rose...
I was hoping to find some insight as to whether or not this would be a good idea.

The Viking machine (most thankfully) came with the expensive walking foot!
However, there are a few feet that I'd like to be able to use (re: not have to buy.)
The foot that first comes to mind is for sewing rolled hems.
I have two different widths of this foot already. :)

TIA!

carhop 09-26-2011 09:18 AM

go on line to Husqvarne and ask them they are very good to work with

Charlee 09-26-2011 09:21 AM

Put the foot on the machine, put fabric between the foot and the feed dogs and then turn the handwheel by hand to observe the function of the foot. If the needle doesn't hit the foot and it functions as it should, then use them. :)

Shelbie 09-26-2011 09:36 AM

I have a Husqvarna (Viking) Prelude 350 and my short shank attachments from my Singer don't fit. I haven't tried all of them but the 1/4" foot, FM foot and my walking foot wouldn't. Husqvarna feet are a lot more expensive than Singer or generic ones. My Husqvarna walking foot was $90 instead of $24. You can try them but I suspect that they won't work.

P.S. I've just noticed that my DD has taken my sweet little doggie's picture off my avatar and substituted a picture of her mean nasty cat who is sleeping on my sofa where he is absolutely not allowed!

Painiacs 09-26-2011 10:07 AM

My singer and Viking feet don't interchange either darn it!!! How lucky it came with a walking foot! Having hard time finding one for my singer!!

Glassquilt 09-26-2011 10:35 AM

My dealer has classes to explain & sell the different feet. Club membership is 'free' the first year.

Tink's Mom 09-26-2011 02:42 PM

I don't think they are interchangeable...I have the Viking #555 which is basiclly, the Rose, minus the embroidery...and mine don't work with the Singer.

incoming2me 09-26-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
I have a Husqvarna (Viking) Prelude 350 and my short shank attachments from my Singer don't fit. I haven't tried all of them but the 1/4" foot, FM foot and my walking foot wouldn't. Husqvarna feet are a lot more expensive than Singer or generic ones. My Husqvarna walking foot was $90 instead of $24. You can try them but I suspect that they won't work.

Are your Singer attachments snap-on or screw-on?
I've got the screw-on type.
OLD Singers! (Ex: 185J - 221 - 99 - 15)
Thankfully - my Viking came with a walking foot! Yea!

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
My dealer has classes to explain & sell the different feet. Club membership is 'free' the first year.

It's a used machine bought off Craigslist.
Not to mention that the machine is obsolete in Viking's eyes. ;)
I took it to the Viking Hospital to see if I could get a new hinge for the flip top cover as I accidentally broke it while cleaning.
(They had one!) I was told that parts for these machines are becoming hard to get. :(

One of these days I'll have a current machine!

For some reason I think that if I were to email Viking.. they'd just encourage me to get the Viking feet.

familyfun 09-26-2011 02:49 PM

P.S. I've just noticed that my DD has taken my sweet little doggie's picture off my avatar and substituted a picture of her mean nasty cat who is sleeping on my sofa where he is absolutely not allowed![/quote]

Cant answer the question. but this is to funny.. Sounds like something I would do to my mom..

incoming2me 09-26-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I don't think they are interchangeable...I have the Viking #555 which is basiclly, the Rose, minus the embroidery...and mine don't work with the Singer.

phooey :(