Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   viking mega quilter sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-mega-quilter-sewing-machine-t194810.html)

laurajean9000 07-16-2012 07:25 AM

viking mega quilter sewing machine

Hello, Anyone out there have the viking mega quilter? I had one for 5 yrs. and had very little use. The manual is not very good.
I did some stud on it. I have use masterpiece thread and it had bad thread delivery. The thread was coming from the top and was twisting on me. This caused tighter tension. The thread is straight-wind and should be feeding off from side.
Another thing!!!! When I used the walking foot, I was told never to go into reverse.
I did this once and it caused loose tensions.
They said, nothing wrong with the machine. The walking foot was bad. It cost me 100.00 to replace.
Thank you, Laura

Pat M. 07-16-2012 09:51 AM

I have found that my Viking Mega Quilter sews just fine. The only problem I have with it is the space in the neck. I wish that I knew more about them before buying it. I would of bought a 18" or 24" machine. One cannot do large designs when on the frame. I use Signature thread and Connecting Threads, a bit linty but OK. Maybe you need to find someone close to you that will help you out. Sometimes it takes more that one person to see a problem.

ontheriver 07-16-2012 03:08 PM

I use mine all the time to FMQ on a homemade frame. It uses any thread I have tried so far, over 6 years and never even had to adjust the tension, I luv that machine!!!!

Silver Needle 07-16-2012 03:18 PM

I have never had any problems using Superior Masterpiece thread in my Mega Quilter. But I have only pieced with this thread. I only quilted 1 quilt with mine then we purchased an APQS Millenium.

mighty 07-17-2012 07:23 AM

I have never had any problems with mine. I only piece on it use my 18 x 8 on frame to quilt.

romanojg 07-17-2012 10:13 AM

I'm stumped; are you just imforming us of your problems or wanting help with your machine. You don't askd for help. I have the mega quilter and have never had to adjust the tension; that is one advantage about it that most dont have an issue with tension. The manual isn't too big but then you have a machine that does a basic straight stitch and that's it. Between the manual and the CD I was never lost when searching for answers. I used mostly Aurifil thread because the viking rep recommended it and that's what I use when piecing but I've used other thread with no problem. If you want help please let us know what kind of help. Why would you go in reverse if you were told not to? The new viking walking foot can go in reverse but it doesn't fit the mega quilter.

laurajean9000 07-19-2012 06:38 AM

Hello, I have the mega quilter 9 in. on the table. I threaded the machine and pull the thread through the needle and it comes out tight. I loosen the top tension. It still comes out tightly. I noticed when I use masterpiece thread the thread comes off the top of spool. The thread was creating a twist. I did some study on it and went to superior website.
They stated the masterpiece is straight-wind. It should feed of the spool from the side. I hope I am explaining this right.
Yes, I need help. The cross-wind spool cones do have to feed off from the top.
Ok, next thing. 5 years ago I was a beginner quilter. I was using the walking foot on a quilt. I was also going into reverse at the end of the quilt to tack it. I started making other quilt and noticed I had loose stitches. I tryed everything to correct it. I took it in to shop to have it serviced. They told me nothing was wrong with machine. The walking foot went bad due to me putting it into reverse to back-stitch the quilt. I paid 100.00 for new walking foot.
I never knew you could not go into reverse with it.
I am getting back into quilting. I need help!!!
Thanks, Laura