Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Mega Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-mega-quilter-t168937.html)

pamg 11-18-2011 07:16 PM

Viking Mega Quilter

Ok I hope someone can help me here. My Mega Quilter is driving me crazy. Sews fine off quilting frame but keeps breaking the thread while on the machine. I took it in to get cleaned and they replaced a part close to the bobbin that the man told me that this is why the thread breaks, but it just keeps on breaking. I just got the machine used and it has a inspira frame. if anyone can help me I would be very happy. Thanks

Karenowc 11-18-2011 07:28 PM

Have you successfully been able to quilt on the frame before taking it in for repair?

If so, have you:
Rethreaded - completely
Rewound your bobbin
Changed your needle and perhaps type of needle
Oiled

Are you remembering to lower the foot when quilting
Try changing the thread to another spool - I had a problem and it turned out to be a bad spool of thread
Is your sandwich too tight/loose?
Are you going too fast? Are you slowing down at the curves and points?

BKrenning 11-18-2011 08:28 PM

My guess would be that you aren't pulling up the bobbin thread before you start quilting, you're moving the machine too fast, the tension is too tight on the top, you've left the feed dogs up, the quilt it too tight on the frame or too high off the bed of the machine. I've done all of the above!

deemail 11-18-2011 08:38 PM

Seriously, these are both perfect answers and exactly what I would have said...try everything they both said...

everyone forgets to put the foot down occasionally and it causes exactly what you are describing... but the list in the first comment is all good info and should be checked...

quiltinghere 11-19-2011 04:29 AM

I have no idea what's causing the problem but want to encourage you to hang in there and try all the suggestions...even several times....sometimes over the course of a couple of days.
Sometimes we just make a tiny little mistake and it causes big problems.

Hang in there!

gailinva 11-19-2011 05:10 AM

Is the frame perfectly level?

ontheriver 11-19-2011 05:49 AM

My mega quilter started doing the same thing on my last quilt, i gave her a cleaning and changed the thread and it stopped. So glad as I absoultely love that machine. I have her on 10 ft. homemade frame. Good luck with yours.

snow 11-19-2011 06:05 AM

I leave mine on the frame all the time, I just use it to quilt with so I removed the feed dogs and this helped a lot. I also notice a diff. if I use the cutting button If I use that button I make sure I have a long thread them cut this seem to help also, Love this machine also. Good Luck.:thumbup:

lunagrandquilter 11-19-2011 11:00 PM

Is the quilt a finger thickness above the bed, and are both sides level?
Try a different bobbin.
Is the thread catching on something?
Change to a new needle.

Good luck. Laurie

ywoodruff5 11-19-2011 11:24 PM

Ditto what Karennowc said and one more idea. On your Mega there is a bar you can move to the left to slow down the machine. Try that. Also sometimes my Mega is tempermental about the thread I am using. Case in point - I was using the same thread I had done several quilts with and midway through the spool the machine decided it didn't like the thread anymore. Once I changed the spool no problems.