Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Megaquilter/Pfaff Grand Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-megaquilter-pfaff-grand-quilter-t107260.html)

annesthreads 03-13-2011 01:09 AM

A local dealer has the above machine (apparently they're the same?)on offer. Does anyone have one? Any comments? I'm on the quest for a good machine for FMQ. I may well end up with a Bernina Aurora, but I want to explore other options before spending so much money.

Numa 03-13-2011 03:09 AM

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter and love it. I don't know if they offer the same features or not, but I have done queen quilts on my Pfaff.

quilter girl 03-13-2011 05:46 AM

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter - I love it - butttttttttttttttttttt I wished there was more quilting space

MamaBear61 03-13-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter - I love it - butttttttttttttttttttt I wished there was more quilting space

Me too, it seemed to be soooo much bigger than my regular machine and I love it but there are still times I wish it would grow and be a long arm :lol: , oh well maybe someday.

dkbeck 03-13-2011 08:11 AM

i have the viking megaquilter, it is okay as a starter. the only thing i wish it had a wider neck you can only do about a 5 inch pattern if you do a big quilt.

SewSydney 03-13-2011 01:06 PM

Hi, I have the Grand Quilter and love it for piecing and quilting. It has a totally different application to the Bernina which is a beautiful machine with lots more bells and whistles. I attend a group run by one of Australia's most accomplished machine quilters and she uses the Bernina Aurora for everything and loves it too, she does the most unbelievable FMQ on it. I have quilted several queen size quilts on my Grand Quilter and it handles FMQ very well, but it is only a straight sewer, I have other machines for doing applique and embroidery stitches. So basically what I am saying is that the grand is a great, very strong machine but it has limitations and it really depends on your overall sewing needs. Good luck, I love sewing machines and I'm always looking and reading reviews!!

annesthreads 03-13-2011 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by SewSydney
H I have quilted several queen size quilts on my Grand Quilter and it handles FMQ very well, but it is only a straight sewer, I have other machines for doing applique and embroidery stitches. So basically what I am saying is that the grand is a great, very strong machine but it has limitations and it really depends on your overall sewing needs. Good luck, I love sewing machines and I'm always looking and reading reviews!!

I'm certainly having fun browsing for reviews and looking at machines! I only need straight stitching - my current machine is an embroidery one and is pretty good as long as I don't ask it to quilt. There's a Viking/Pfaff dealer quite nearby, so I think I need to take myself along there with a pile of practice pieces and a variety of threads.

quiltmaker 03-14-2011 05:02 AM

The Viking Mega Quilter/Pfaff Grand Quilter and the Juki TL98Q are all basically the same machine. I have the Juki and it FMQ beautifully so I would imagine the others would also. Check them all out and the pricing so you can get the best value for your money.

sandybeach 03-14-2011 09:05 AM

I have the Pfaff Grand Quilter also on a 10' frame. I just got it last summer so I have only used it about 5 times total. I do like it, and I bought it used from a lady in my Quilt Guild, so it wasn't very expensive. But, if I ever can afford to upgrade, I will certainly move up to a 13-15 inch throad. The 9" is just too small, you end up moving the quilt after every row of quilting, then you even have to move the pantograph (if you are using one, which I do) because the pattern won't line up with the space you have to quilt in.

ontheriver 03-14-2011 09:11 AM

I have the megaquilter and I like it, but I have just started learning to FMQ so I do not have much experience. For what I have done it seems to work great. I don't have a frame for it, it is on my wish list still.