Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Viking Ruby VS Viking Diamnod (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/viking-ruby-vs-viking-diamnod-t190273.html)

rootyr 05-29-2012 03:15 AM

Viking Ruby VS Viking Diamnod

I am thinking of upgrading to a Viking embroidery and sewing machine. I like the large size hoop. I currently have a Bernina 640 but the largest hoop is 6 inches. Wouldlove to have soem input omn both these machines. TY so much

twoxover 05-29-2012 03:29 AM

i cannot speak about the viking embroidery, i CAN tell you that i am a huge fan of viking sewing machines. I have a 350 (back about 15 years ago, it was their entry level into electronic sewing machines) and have ordered a tribute 140c. the best thing would be to go to a dealer and check them out. i know many people are REALLY happy with the embroidery capabilities of their vikings.

nanna-up-north 05-29-2012 03:34 AM

I have an older Viking 1+ that does embroidery but not the newer ones..... sorry I can't help you out. I agree with towxover.... go to your viking dealer and check them out.

nhweaver 05-29-2012 03:44 AM

Like any other manufacturer they have issues with their new machines made in China. I would test drive both machines at the dealer, and when you decide, make sure you test drive the machine you want to buy at the dealer before you pay for it and bring it home. I loved the Viking 875q I test drove at the dealers. They ordered a new one for me, and when I got it home, it definitely was not the quality of the one in the store. Mine is loud, and vibrates like the dickens, been in for 2 repairs in 3 years. It does have a great even stitch, and I love the size of the harp, I don't sew long strips on it as the vibration and noise drives me crazy. (I am sensitive to loud machine noises).

Lori S 05-29-2012 04:03 AM

My Mom bought the Ruby just about a year ago . Loves it. The Ruby is alot of machine... and I think she has more machine than she will ever use. Be sure to check on the classes. The local dealer classes are less than informative... part of the issue with all that capability. They were also very inflexable as to the dates , times and frequency of classes.

kathleenq 05-29-2012 05:20 AM

I would make sure you have a good dealer ship, that will be willing to work with you in learning all, that your machine
can do. Both machines are great machines, but it would be good if the dealer can teach you their capabilities.

LTeachergeorge 05-29-2012 05:36 AM

Ditto on the dealership issue. Mine is fantastic. I have a Designer SE and a Sapphire (non-embroidery, but has the same "frame" as the Diamond). Been through the owner classes several times for each (free, of course), and the staff at the store is very helpful. It is 30 miles away, which I know is not a lot for city people. I have resolved many problems by phone with a number of their associates. I'm still dreaming about a Diamond.

mighty 05-29-2012 06:51 AM

Dealership is really important. I have the viking +1, Designer, Diamond, 140 C., serger, Mega quilter, and the 18x8.
I love them all! They are great machines and I have a great dealer. The large hoops are wonderful. I think a trip to your dealer and a test drive would be a really good thing. Check out what support they offer. Good luck and enjoy!!!

romanojg 05-29-2012 10:40 AM

I love, love, love my Ruby. It has so many features that makes life so much easier. My Viking dealer who also does my monthly embroidery club is always saying when I ask her how to do something, that's one more great feature about the Ruby. I love that you don't have to disassembel it in order to sew; hit the park button and it moves the embroidery arm out of the way and you start sewing and hit the embroidery icon on the screen and you start that again. I love the hoop sizes which is one of the reasons that I wanted the Ruby. A 14 1/4 x 8 comes with it along with a smaller one. I just their newest endless hoop but I can't remember the size but it's large. I think there is only one hoop that mine won't take; a 14 1/4 x 13 3/4. If you go to the Viking website there is a comparison chart where you can see the differences and pluses of the two machines. I also love the cutwork needles that the Viking uses; it makes life so much sweeter. Either machine will give you loads of great things to do.

Have to agree with all the other post on the dealer; must be good.

rootyr 05-29-2012 03:00 PM

Thank you all so much for your input-it is very valuable to me. I have written down some of the high points and I do agree with all of them Great suggestions. TY Ruth I am going to call my Viking dealer tomorrow!