Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vintage Postage Stamp Quilt Top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vintage-postage-stamp-quilt-top-t132212.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 06-21-2011 06:11 PM

What a story behind that top!! So sad for those 2 women, and so nice they did something together :)
I really wouldn't want to see it machine quilted but that's if I owned it.
What a treasure!! :D Glad you are enjoying it.

angiecub 06-21-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I agree, hand quilting. I am not a hand quilter myself? but there are a few Menonite ladies locally that are not too expensive. Maybe there is someone near you.

I agree that if you don't hand quilt, you should hire someone to hand quilt it rather than machine quilt it. Just a personal preference for a quilt this old to have it quilted as would have been done in that period. Congratulations on this wonderful find!

isnthatodd 06-21-2011 06:15 PM

I have many vintage tops that I will leave unquilted. I like being able to see the back as well as the front. But that is a personal choice and you should do what would make you feel best.

huntannette 06-21-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I agree, hand quilting. I am not a hand quilter myself? but there are a few Menonite ladies locally that are not too expensive. Maybe there is someone near you.

:thumbup: i agree

redquilter 06-21-2011 06:22 PM

If I decided to quilt it, I would handquilt. I'm not a handquilter myself, but I have had a vintage top handquilted by a Menonite lady. It's costly, so if that isn't an option, I would leave it as is. It's beautiful just the way it is and what a wonderful story behind it.

roseOfsharon 06-21-2011 06:28 PM

A marvelous treasure and a great story behind it. (sad one but one that carries precious hours of healing between the two women who worked together a stitch at a time) A great name for the Quilt... "Healing a Stitch at a Time" :)

mtnative 06-21-2011 06:30 PM

If I remember correctly, Eddie on this board quilted several vintage quilt tops. He might have some insight for you if you PM'd him.

GwynR 06-21-2011 06:32 PM

for sure finish it! perhaps you could have an old fashioned quilting bee with some friends and get it hand quilted that way. i would sure love to be involved in a project like that! make a nice label with all the info you have about the quilt to really add to it! :-) what a treasure!

oma66 06-21-2011 07:12 PM

I would contact a quilt appraiser and ask her/him what they think about having it machine quilted or handquilted. It was a lot of work putting it together by hand and I say you have a real treasure.

skippitydodahquilts 06-21-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mtspools
I would finish it but I would not machine quilt it. I would hand quilt it.What A wonderful fine. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

Agreed. Something so old and hand pieced should be hand quilted. If you don't want to, I'm sure you could have someone do it for you.