Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   vintage quilt blocks, badly warped...what to do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vintage-quilt-blocks-badly-warped-what-do-t252943.html)

monizach205 09-02-2014 11:49 AM

vintage quilt blocks, badly warped...what to do

3 Attachment(s)
We pulled tons of unfinished quilt tops from our lakehouse about 10 years ago, it had been sitting for about 40 years untouched. The dad had died, and the mother simply locked the doors and never returned. Upon the passing of the last relative, the daughter, we purchased the home and everything in it. Many of the quilt tops are hand stitched, and my family is going to have them professionally finished (or for each of us as a memento as we sold the house after about 10 years). There were also, however, a good amount of quilt blocks that were never assembled.

I sorted them out, and there seems to be 3 separate block patterns (plus a few rogue other patterns). There is enough to make a quilt from each (if I recreate a block or two). The main issue, however, is that since these blocks had been sitting in a box for 60+ years, there has been considerable warping. Some of them are not terribly bad, but a number of them are nothing near square.

My question is, what is the best way to go about squaring these up in order to put them together. Trimming them would ruin the block pattern, at least slightly. My other thought was to add a border to each square to bring them all to the same size and correct any issues. I am a very novice quilter, however, so I thought I would post somewhere that others may have some experience.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490107[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]490108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]490109[/ATTACH]

Nammie to 7 09-02-2014 11:53 AM

Draw an outline of the finished size then press each block to try to match the outline. Or you can sash each block and then cut to size. When the quilt is finished you won't be able to see a difference in the sizes. You have some real treasures there!

monizach205 09-02-2014 11:58 AM

The sashing would work for the ones that are simply not the same size. My biggest concern is the first image, where a lot of the edges are quite bowed/rounded, and not even straight. Is it possible to press those back to be (relatively) straight?

And thanks, these blocks are nothing compared to some of the finished tops

nativetexan 09-02-2014 12:48 PM

think of adding fabric wedges on the first blocks to make wonky blocks. tilted is another term for them. Good luck.

bjchad 09-02-2014 12:54 PM

I would try blocking the blocks rather than trimming. As someone said, measure the size the blocks should be, dampen and stretch to that size. Pin the edges and allow to dry. You can get a "board" that is for pressing but has a grid on it that you can use to both measure and pin to. Pin all the way around, close together and allow to dry or press dry. Once you have blocked them you can trim or sash as necessary.
They look like they will be well worth the effort.

crocee 09-02-2014 02:21 PM

I would just sew them together adding small bits of fabric where needed. These blocks were bade in a time where perfection wasn't expected and the tools to make them so weren't available. Sometimes we put too much importance on the straight line. The woman who made the blocks did the best she could with what she had available to her at the time. The wonkyness will add to the character of the quilt. I wonder why we use factory made as a standard for hand made. If you look at vintage quilts you don't see exactly straight lines, matching colors, and other perfection requirements. You see the love and hard work that went into the quilt because it was to be used to keep the cold out.

Prism99 09-02-2014 02:28 PM

Sharon Schamber has several videos on Youtube that show how to "true up" a wonky block. Basically it involves blocking with spray starch. Here is a link to just one of them, but I know there are more:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3RIWhBvcA

ube quilting 09-02-2014 02:48 PM

What wonderful blocks. I like #6 - Crocees' idea of adding a smidge of fabric where needed and keeping the old time flavor of the blocks intact. I have done this on blocks and when the quilt is finished no one is the wiser for having done it. It works.

Please keep posting as you decide what you are going to do.
peace

Peckish 09-02-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bjchad (Post 6871593)
I would try blocking the blocks rather than trimming. As someone said, measure the size the blocks should be, dampen and stretch to that size. Pin the edges and allow to dry.

This is what I would do. Dampen with water or starch.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-02-2014 02:57 PM

If all else fails, sew a large border around each one and square them up deliberately wonky.