Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vintage Quilt Top Find! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vintage-quilt-top-find-t277204.html)

Geri B 03-30-2016 04:50 AM

That is a great find! Let us know what you find out about this mystery quilt top. Looking, trying to figure out how it was pieced.....very few seams, except those in the ring. Is it appliquéd onto the background or sewed together? Great traditional design!

mldesatnik 03-30-2016 05:35 AM

I recognize some of the fabric from the '50's. I made my maternity clothes, and I used it then. However, my mother had given me some fabrics, so it would have to have been early '50's. I saved the scraps and used them in a Cathedral Window I made in the early '70's. Anyone trying to date my quilt would have the same problem you are having right now.

As quilters, we just can't throw out any pieces that we feel still has some life in it.

Mldesatnik

fayeberry 03-30-2016 07:26 AM

what a wonderful discovery! have fun

AlvaStitcher 03-30-2016 07:44 AM

The top is very pretty. Bright and colorful and will be beautiful when you get it all quilted. Love this pattern.

crafty pat 03-30-2016 08:23 AM

Some of the fabric is from the 50's and some look like late 40's. I have some of it from DM's stash.

sewbizgirl 03-30-2016 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 7509229)
Unless I am mistaken, this looks like another one. Love this web site. Thanks Maniac

http://www.cindysantiquequilts.com/dynapage/IP777.htm

Yes, that looks exactly like my blocks. Thanks so much. It's cool how it was used as a signature quilt.

sewbizgirl 03-30-2016 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7509322)
That is a great find! Let us know what you find out about this mystery quilt top. Looking, trying to figure out how it was pieced.....very few seams, except those in the ring. Is it appliquéd onto the background or sewed together? Great traditional design!

All pieced in by machine-- no applique-- even the centers. Perfect Y seams! Tiny little scant 1/4" seams. This person was an expert piecer.

sewbizgirl 03-30-2016 04:23 PM

Yes, I'm feeling strongly that these fabrics are 1950's or older. I was sewing by the 60's and 70's and these fabrics were passe by then. They are nothing like what was in the fabric stores during those decades.

I found out the quilt appraisal at Paducah is $50. I only have a top, unquilted so I don't know if the price would still be $50. I'm not sure I am curious enough about this one top to pay $50 to hear an expert's opinion of it. I'm thinking of all the yards of fabric I could buy with that money, instead. :D

Daylesewblessed 03-30-2016 07:10 PM

Concerning appraisal -- our university museum (textiles department) is having quilt documentation days - one in April and one in May. This is a free event where people are invited to bring up to 4 quilts or quilt tops for the curator to evaluate. She will not make an appraisal, but she will attempt to date the quilt based on the fabrics and style, and each person receives a picture and information sheet to be kept for personal documentation. If you have access to a public university museum, although it may not be doing a documentation day, the textiles curator may be willing to examine your quilt top privately.

sewbizgirl 03-30-2016 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 7509938)
Concerning appraisal -- our university museum (textiles department) is having quilt documentation days - one in April and one in May. This is a free event where people are invited to bring up to 4 quilts or quilt tops for the curator to evaluate. She will not make an appraisal, but she will attempt to date the quilt based on the fabrics and style, and each person receives a picture and information sheet to be kept for personal documentation. If you have access to a public university museum, although it may not be doing a documentation day, the textiles curator may be willing to examine your quilt top privately.

Thanks... that's a great idea.