Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/vintage-yo-yo-quilt-t79209.html)

nance-ell 11-28-2010 07:35 AM

I was cleaning out my parent's house after my father passed away this year (mother passed away 3 1/2 years ago) and I found a yo-yo quilt. I promise to post a pic when my camera battery charges (hate it when I grab the camera for a pic and it won't work! lol)

I remember this quilt from when I was younger and my mother showed it to me. She was going to make one herself, but never got further than a tin full of yo-yo's. I'm sure she told me where she got the quilt, but I can't remember. I like to think it's a family heirloom, but can't be 100% certain. She did a lot of yard sale shopping back then.

It is obviously quite old and some of the yo-yo's are coming apart. I want to stitch them back together, but I'm wondering if I should start at one corner and re-do all the stitching - or maybe leave original stitching in and do catch each one with an additional stitch or two? It has that old musty smell also and I'm wondering how to get that out. I thought of putting it in the washer on soak, but I'm afraid the spin cycle will be too rough. I also considered putting it on the dryer rack in the dryer on steam to see if that helps. Anyone with suggestions for handling vintage quilts greatly appreciated!

pojo 11-28-2010 07:54 AM

I would only stitch it where it is needed.

nance-ell 11-28-2010 08:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Pics at last...

Edging flipped over - shows flat side of fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134991[/ATTACH]

Full size yo yo
[ATTACH=CONFIG]134992[/ATTACH]

Close up of some of the broken threads
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135017[/ATTACH]

Edge of quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]135019[/ATTACH]

trueimage 11-28-2010 09:02 AM

Gorgeous!!!

Sweeterthanwine 11-28-2010 09:11 AM

Beautiful! I have a tin full of yo yos and going to make something some day. I would only sew it back together where it is needed.

clem55 11-28-2010 09:59 AM

I"d probably just soak it in the tub, using some Arm and Hammer washing soda, or Borax. Rinse well, gently squeeze out water, roll in a towel and spread out to dry. Someone posted about stuff called Retro Clean that is suppose to be really good for old linens, maybe see about using that.

oldswimmer 11-28-2010 10:15 AM

Yea, the Retro Clean looks really interesting. I would google that and see what you think. Best of luck!

Its a beautiful yo-yo quilt, by the way....wish I had one.

mrspete 11-28-2010 10:22 AM

Amazing the patience that it takes. I guess if you are snowed in it is a great pasttime. I saw one like this up in Murphy NC one time. Beautiful and a treasure since it has family history.

Blessings, Ruth

bmanley 11-28-2010 10:25 AM

This is so beautiful. What a great find. That took a whole lot of work. Should be cherished. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

emc1118 11-28-2010 10:29 AM

I agree, soaking in a tub, and laying out to dry. Also, stitching where needed. Beautiful!! Wish I had the patience!