Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilt Retreat - March Edition 3-22-13 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilt-retreat-march-edition-3-22-13-a-t216483.html)

CarolynMT 03-19-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric (Post 5937774)
Thank you. I agree with removing 9. I've had 1 & 2 switched many times. In the picture they do look a different hue, but not in person. I tried switching 11 & 12. And tried putting @5 later in the run. You're right, it's hard to tell in a picture. The daylight is gone, so these are with flash. The first picture, I think, is what you suggested. his next picture is how I see them. I think it needs#6&8 removed and another added on each side of #9. I'll keep looking in my stash. Thank you for your help. And maybe another between #3 and 4.

You are right, I like the 2nd option best. I would recommend setting it out on a table you walk by often and just glance at it walking by in different lights and times of the day. That is what I do with my big braids. I think the colors look fine and work just fine together.

And Seasaw2mch had a great idea with the grey scale, you might if you have the right software do a grey scale on the image you have. Or if your camera can do a greyscale or b/w photo (mine does) then try taking it in b/w.

All else fails, squint and look at it sideways......sometimes that works for me

Dedemac 03-19-2013 07:16 PM

Just found the thread, I'm in again. But can't be here until Saturday. Thursday is our 32 anniversary but we are going out on Friday for Dinner and a movie. Loved doing the last one, and DDs puppy loves his mat.

Emma S 03-19-2013 07:31 PM

Dedemac: Congrads on your 32nd. Glad your here.

seasaw2mch 03-20-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT (Post 5939692)
Well generally I am just here in/out about every couple hours over the weekend, to answer questions and provide encouragement. I pick the projects so that most people can finish them in a weekend (tis great to start/finish) we all post photos of our progress based on your desires. I strongly encourage it, it is fun to see how everyone's projects come together. And if you cant make it over the weekend but still want the pattern, just send me a PM with your email. I am not finicky about that. Just want to enjoy making something together :)

I am also in chat most of the weekend too, to answer immediate questions or visit. :)

Great, this will help me clean out some scraps as well. SO off I go to cut some strips! See you all later!

vickig626 03-20-2013 09:29 AM

Our neighborhood sit & sew is tomorrow evening so think I'll pull out those ombre fabrics and find an accent fabric and do my cutting then. I hope this idea works.....sounds ok in my head LOL

Emma S 03-20-2013 10:23 AM

Carolyn: I am kind of going out on a limb. The monochromatic use of color is what we are aiming for but I made the interesting discovery that there are very few blenders in my stash. So....I have a preprinted panel that would work for the center block, the colors are what I would term water colors purpley blue, jade green, grey and a muted gold. My question is do you think these colors could be made to work in your pattern? If so what should be considered when choosing the values? Any help would be very appreciated. Please be frank, my color sense is not always what it should be. I really want to learn from this experience.

CarolynMT 03-20-2013 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S (Post 5941656)
Carolyn: I am kind of going out on a limb. The monochromatic use of color is what we are aiming for but I made the interesting discovery that there are very few blenders in my stash. So....I have a preprinted panel that would work for the center block, the colors are what I would term water colors purpley blue, jade green, grey and a muted gold. My question is do you think these colors could be made to work in your pattern? If so what should be considered when choosing the values? Any help would be very appreciated. Please be frank, my color sense is not always what it should be. I really want to learn from this experience.

I have done french braids through different colors, if you search on here, I have 2 queen sized ones. One done in the reds to black with black accents, and the other is done in fall colors, from green to yellow to orange to red, with brown as an accent color (search "Celtic Knot French Braid", I titled them the same) so it is possible to get that "glow" effect by going through different colors. I would say start with the lightest color, or the one in the center panel that is the lightest, audition the other colors next to it, going from light to dark in tone (start with tone then move to value)
Get a good attempt, then take a picture. Set this run up in a frequently passed by table, that gets all different lights, and look at it as you walk by and go about your business. Post the picture here ;) am sure we can help ya. And feel free to switch colors.

In the end, this is your table runner, it should be what makes you happy. As I am fond of saying "Never let the instructions get in the way of your creativity"

I am horribly OCD when it comes to colors, I still match socks to shirt and shoes. Scrappy quilts actually cause me pain. Not sure why, I just accept that is what I am :) So the color gradation type quilts "please" my eye. That is why I like doing them this way. :) But I know everyone is not like me. I have done a square table topper with this pattern (with modifications) and didnt do color gradation.....mom wanted specific colors in specific orders, just glad it is on her table and not mine...lol it turned out ok.......looked more like a broken up square...but eh, that is what was requested.

And limbs are loads of fun ;) especially when you have US HERE as your safety net. :) To quote someone famous "No risk = no rewards" go for it......:thumbup:

mom-6 03-20-2013 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my strips cut and my center stitched. Here's a picture of my run laid out.

mom-6 03-20-2013 06:22 PM

The colors did not show up very well on some of that. The center leaf design does not fade to white but a very yellowy green. The squiggly one is a medium light mossy green on dark cream. The next one is almost the same color leaves on a light celery background. The rest show pretty true to color on my screen.

Emma S 03-20-2013 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I was thinking for my table runner[ATTACH=CONFIG]403095[/ATTACH]Cynthia, thank you for your encouragement. At least on my computer these colors are close to what they are in real life. Opions please?