Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual quilting weekend—April 10-12, 2020 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend%97april-10-12-2020-a-t310506.html)

Karamarie 04-11-2020 05:04 AM

I am piecing a backing for a scrap quilt I have completed the top for. Can't go anyplace to get backing fabric so am piecing a back for it. I guess we have to get creative and it is a good time to do that. I do my own FMQ so I may get it layered and put together. I don't care for that process but it has to be done. If I get it done, I will try to post a pix but so far I have not been successful posting pictures since the changed format.
Happy Easter all!

LAF2019 04-11-2020 05:16 AM

Copycat- I'm curious, are you folding the little charm squares then appliqueing on top of the layer cakes?

GingerK 04-11-2020 05:24 AM

I'm in too. Thanks for hosting Raggiemom. I have 5 requested masks to make. They are a little more detailed than many patterns but they are going to people with breathing issues/suppressed immune systems. I will finish them today and then I think I will hang up my mask making hat and go back to the bag I started a couple of weeks ago. That is my happy place and I think I need a visit.

juliasb 04-11-2020 05:39 AM

I have a full line up of quilting to get finished. More face mask are at the top of the list. When I run out of elastic I will go back to working on my current quilting project, a QAYG project I am doing in batiks. It has been a lot of fun to make this one so far. I am working on what could be the final row. Now this will depend on just how large it is getting. Everyone have a fun quilty weekend.

luvstoquilt 04-11-2020 05:41 AM

I am sewing masks and will start a new project. I am going to make a 30’s quilt. It is a Dresden plate from “Fancy to Frugal” by Kay Connors and Karen Earlywine. They call their take on it “Fancy Dish”. I have had this book for several years. And I really love quilts from the 30’s. They based all of the quilts in this book on patterns published in newspapers from that time. Since I have nothing but time now it seems the time is right and this will be my “ when the world stood still” quilt.

Thank you for hostessing Heather.💕

Iceblossom 04-11-2020 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I'll be working on the Bunny Star project. I'd just call it the "Easter Quilt" but I'm hoping it might go to my grandson next year (he'll be 18 months next time). Son's household doesn't celebrate Easter but I can probably slip in some bunnies... or maybe it will just be for donation, doesn't really matter in this case.

Today I am debating the merits between bright white or other alternatives for the solid squares/triangles of the Lemoyne Star block. Here I have it shown with a bright white on white floral and an gold/beige off tone on tone floral. I also have some very pale solids in a couple of colors to consider. There will be the 12 bunny blocks in a diagonal grid, 3 across and 4 down. There are only 6 stars which will all be in the middle. I have enough scraps to make all 6 blocks identical, but I think I'm going to use the majority of the same fabrics in most of them, and maybe swap out the green or purple sets for blue in some of the blocks.

Also debating on how to make the star block. i could cut off the corners and fill them in with colored triangles so they meet the bunny snowball blocks and form QST units, but I think I'm going to use that square of background in the setting triangles and want to keep it square for now. I can either set-in the square in the traditional method, or do it the quick diagonal seam method.

Conchalea 04-11-2020 06:50 AM

Since my house sale was canceled, not just delayed, I'm in limbo & would love to sew! My issue- all my fabric, thread, & sewing notions are in storage, waaaaay at the back of the store room. I was supposed to be moving this weekend so didn't think my separation from fabric would last long. Covid-19 had other ideas. I've tried to order fabric locally, but my orders were cancelled due to someone ordering what I wanted before my order went in. I've now ordered from Amazon, but even they are behind in delivering some things. *sigh* At least I have my trusty 1949 Singer, & Bonus! I found the power cord to it, which I thought was with fabric! One daughter had some thread for me, so when the fabric gets here I can actually sew something!! Sadly, not in time for this VQW. Happy sewing all, & I'll watch what is posted here to get vicarious thrills.

Iceblossom 04-11-2020 06:55 AM

Ack! Conchalea, so sorry for you :(

And a grats and a good job! for those still doing the Bonnie Hunter Frolic project. I got mine done but then went into an almost 2 month long non-sewing hangover!

copycat 04-11-2020 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by LAF2019 (Post 8376779)
Copycat- I'm curious, are you folding the little charm squares then appliqueing on top of the layer cakes?

Yes I am folding the 5" sq and refolding again to make triangles. I finally found the link to the video I saw many years ago to how it is done.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&reload=9&v=cgV64kXet7s

The baby quilt on the video is toward the end.

SallyS 04-11-2020 07:10 AM

Masks! These are things I do to them:

Interface one layer for more protection;
Zigzag 4" of a pipe cleaner in nose area, using jewelry tools to cut, then bend the ends back on themselves so they aren't sharp;
Put a small dart (1/4" x 1" ) at bottom of mask, front and back, to keep bottom closer to chin;
Use batik for one side because of the tight weave.

It takes more time, but I think (and hope!) they offer more safety.
Love this group and so glad I'm part of it!