Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which wadding? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wadding-t158903.html)

Mikethebook 10-08-2011 07:16 AM

My wife has just taken up quilting, making lap quilts, but she has yet to find a wadding available in the UK which she likes. Can anyone advise her on what's best for machine quilting, that doesn't require pre-washing and that doesn't produce tiny balls of wadding on the reverse side of the quilt. Thanks.

PaperPrincess 10-08-2011 07:18 AM

Welcome! We have many members from the UK who will be able to advise you.

the casual quilter 10-08-2011 07:59 AM

I'm not in the UK, but I thought I'd share my thought about batting--
My all time favorite is Hobbs wool. It's on the pricey side, but it quilts beautifully. I have a flannel quilt with wool batting on my bed that gets laundered regularly and have not had any problems. There was a tiny bit of shrinkage when it was laundered the first time, but not much. I also like Hobbs 80/20 and I use it often. I don't pre-wash or pre-soak any of the batting I use. The little bit of shrinkage isn't a bother to me. I kind of like the old fashioned look. I launder my quilts in a washing machine with cold water and I dry them in the dryer on a regular setting.

Mikethebook 10-08-2011 08:40 AM

Thanks for that. I think we can get Hobbs in the UK.

icon17 10-08-2011 08:41 AM

Welcome, From the USA.

Wadding in your country and Batting in ours just to make things clear are one and the same. 8-)

Mikethebook 10-08-2011 08:44 AM

Thanks for that. My wife did tell me.

I just checked the price of Hobbs Wool in the UK and that's way too expensive unfortunately.

nativetexan 10-08-2011 08:52 AM

there are more UK members who will come and help soon i'm sure.

Prism99 10-08-2011 09:12 AM

Hobbs and Quilter's Dream are among the best brands. Hobbs 80/20 is one of my favorites. When I Googled, it looks as if both these brands are available in the UK.

Quilter's Dream cotton (needlepunched, but not through scrim) is a very stable cotton batting that will not "beard". Hobbs 80/20 has more loft, whereas the QD gives a flatter, more traditional look. Both shrink up to 3%, which is what is typical for a traditional "crinkled" look. Neither of these battings requires pre-washing.

If your wife does not want the batting to shrink at all, and does not want to pre-wash batting, then she would need to stick with polyester. A disadvantage of polyester battings is that they slip and slide more in the quilt sandwich. I personally prefer 80 to 100% cotton in my battings, without scrim, because cotton gets softer and softer with every washing. If your wife wants a polyester batting, I've heard that both Hobbs polydown and Quilter's Dream poly get good ratings.

Jim's Gem 10-08-2011 03:16 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!

Murphy 10-08-2011 06:20 PM

Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa.