Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-t23025.html)

tlrnhi 07-21-2009 06:09 AM

I always play "touchy feely" with my fabric before I buy it. I'll even lay it down, unroll it and "play" with it.
I NEVER rely on what the sticker says on the end of the bolt. I was buying some fabric at a quilt shop one time. Read the sticker, it said 100% cotton, only to get it home and the fabric was crap. Didn't realize it at the time because I didn't really play with the fabric. Brought the stuff back to the shop and the lady told me that they sold NOTHING but 100% cotton. When I went to the shelf and pulled the bolt off, the lady felt the fabric...same as what I was showing her and she says....well, that's NOT ours, someone must have snuck that bolt in there on the shelf!!!

mochasue 07-21-2009 08:15 AM

Thank you for your replies. This really helps. I will be much more selective and will definitely "play" with my fabric before I purchase it.

foxxigrani 07-21-2009 08:30 AM

I thought touchy feely were all part of the fabric, I just go in the stores sometimes for my feel fix. I tell them I just came in for a free feel. Of course there are times that it gets me in trouble that free feel ends up to be not so free, but hey thats what I'mm talk bout.

Rita

Scissor Queen 07-21-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by mochasue
I had to make a baby quilt in a hurry this weekend and the only place that was open was Wal-Mart. I bought some fabric in 100% cotton and also in flannel. When I got home and started making the quilt I was amazed at how crappy the fabric was. It was thin and the color was uneven. The flannel was horrible. You could actually see through it. The fibers would pull apart on the flannel. I ended up just finishing the quilt and I am just going to donate to a local women's shelter. I will wait until after work today and go to my local fabric shop and get good fabric to make the other baby quilt.

Have you ever noticed that about Wal-Mart fabric?

I noticed that about Walmart fabric 10 years ago. I made a twin size scrap quilt with fabrics from a swap. One of them was a Walmart fabric. It had a tear in it before I even finished the quilt!! They still sell that exact same print 10 years later.

One way Walmart keeps prices down is to demand their suppliers lower their costs every year. Once you've offshored the manufacturing the only way left to lower costs is to lower the quality of the goods, cheaper griege, cheaper dyes. Walmart only cares about cost, not quality.

marta 07-27-2009 07:42 AM

I worked at Wal-Mart for 15 years, and know that they will take back anything that isn't as it should be, and give a refund. I am amazed at how many people don't know this.
I have always had good luck with fabric purchased at Wal-Mart. Our store is the only store with fabric in town. I have not ever had bad luck with any of it, but I do know that customer satisfaction is their goal. I would just take it back and try it out on returning for a refund.

Knot Sew 07-27-2009 09:27 AM

Almost all my fabric comes from walmart and joanns.....I've heard it all before...buy the best you can afford..