Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-fabric-t65103.html)

memathomas 09-16-2010 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay
I would like to know how they determine which stores have fabric & which don't! I have heard of so many rural Walmarts eliminating their fabric departments & leaving their customers with very long drives to other fabric stores. Our store was remodeled a year or so ago & they kept the fabric department- much to my delight & surprise. It is smaller, but still decent. I live north of LA in an area that has other fabric stores & they have fabric at my Walmart. But why do they close the departments of stores that leave their customes with not many, if any other choices?

i found out a month ago that the walmarts that are patronized by the Amish are keeping the fabric they call it an Amish store

SundarKoyal 09-16-2010 04:26 PM

I live in the Silicon Valley of California, and NONE of the Walmarts here have ever had fabric departments. Though I have only lived in California for 5 years. I wish they would carry fabric - I would love to see what they would carry.

GrammaNan 09-16-2010 04:27 PM

Hooray! I hope you are right! I know there are people out there that won't use Wally World fabric but in this economy, the only other choice I have is thrift stores. BTW-Dmart and I bought a boat load of fabric at three of the closest WM for $1.00 a yard.

Feather3 09-16-2010 05:09 PM

>>i found out a month ago that the walmarts that are patronized by the Amish are keeping the fabric they call it an Amish store[/quote]<<

This is not true. Our Wal-Mart is just finishing a remodel. They took the fabric dept out & put in pre-cuts. The store is patronized by the Amish allot. We also have no other fabric stores close by. The closest Jo-Anns is 30 plus miles.

I don't know how they decide which stores to keep fabric in, however I have heard many complaining in our store of the lack of choices/brands now available.

memathomas 09-16-2010 05:14 PM

i am repeating what an employee in the fabric dept that has been there for years told me not too long ago so as far as i am concerned it is true whatever works for me is what i go with and we have nice fabric in our store

mom-6 09-16-2010 05:42 PM

I know ours has kept a very nice fabric department after contacting of corporate on the part of local customers, me for one. We do have some of the precuts as well as the bolts, but I haven't seen much change in the volume of precuts on display, so they may have to clearance them like they did the jellyrolls awhile back. Most of the people around here want to do their own cutting and choosing of how much fabric they are getting.

littlehud 09-16-2010 06:38 PM

It would be nice to see it come back. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

ToucanSam 09-16-2010 06:48 PM

i found out a month ago that the walmarts that are patronized by the Amish are keeping the fabric they call it an Amish store[/quote]

There are no Amish in my part of the world and we have a couple of Walmarts that have revamped their fabric and some that still have the bolts.

CarrieAnne 09-16-2010 06:54 PM

Oh, I hope so! Both ours are supposed to be leaving, I am SO sad. We DO have some Amish around here, so maybe that will help!

tooMuchFabric 09-16-2010 07:07 PM

We have 3 walmart superstores within 25 minutes, and 3 more in an hour, that had long-time staffers in the fabric departments;
and all of them told us several years ago when this remodel thing started that wal-mart would never get rid of fabric.
Then after the remodel hit our area and all the fabric was gone, those ladies were out of a job fabricwise.
We have now been told by store managers that fabric is not coming back, only precuts in selected stores.