Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wal-mart-joanns-fabric-t34904.html)

rufree4t 01-28-2010 06:54 PM

A lot depends on what I am doing. If it is a quilt for a child to use, I will go to Joanns but I do pay attention to how the fabric feels and draps. I am very careful if is strips or plaid to make sure when I cut it, the lines are straight.

Mousie 01-28-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
I like all fabrics, I just look at it and feel it to see if it seems like it is not flimsy. A lot of the Wal-Mart and lower end fabric is pretty thin, so I bypass it if it doesn't pass that feel test.

These are my sentiments exactly. Thank you, Eddie, you read my mind:thumbup:

IBQUILTIN 01-28-2010 07:40 PM

Fabric Shop Links that I use:

Connectingthreads.com
1000's of Bolts
Honeyforkfabrics.com
Keepsakequilting.com
Daystyledesigns.com is a good check on anything site
Have fun

Quiltgranny 01-28-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
Brush and Thimble, My personal favorites are stack n frame quilt shop online, they have good quality and good prices.

Do you possibly mean Stitch-n-frame? I couldn't find anything from stack n frame. Maybe you have a link for us?

Thanks

cjtinkle 01-29-2010 03:45 PM

I won't buy cheap fabric, but I rarely pay $9 a yard either, unless it's something I really want. I just subscribe to a number of online quilt shop newsletters, and shop their 40%-50% off sales.

Beachbound 01-30-2010 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by ebony
fellow quilters i am sorry.
i had no idea this question would generate such strong feelings.
it's just that as a new quilter i am trying to do all the 'right things'. trying to make everything perfect the first time out-from pattern selection,to fabric,to color, thread,etc.
am i making it harder than it should be?
grandma took old clothes and made beautiful quilts( i still have one of hers and it is 43 years old) and i feel guilty about not shopping in the 'right' stores.
i can't seem to get it right.
please forgive me if i stepped on anyones toes.

I love this discussion! I agree with just about everything said. Quilts are made with love not snobbery. It's better to have a quilt made with less than perfect fabric or even skills ;-) and made with love than the best store bought- million run factory 'quilt'. I have fabric in my stash from all walks of life!

cjtinkle 01-30-2010 08:25 AM

Well I agree. I cut up old clothing and happily use it in scrap quilts. I just don't go out and buy lesser quality fabrics, when good ones can be had just as cheaply if you shop around.

I bought about 30 yards of fabric online this morning for $3.98 a yard, from Hancocks of Paducah on their web special page. Can't beat that!

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I love this discussion! I agree with just about everything said. Quilts are made with love not snobbery. It's better to have a quilt made with less than perfect fabric or even skills ;-) and made with love than the best store bought- million run factory 'quilt'. I have fabric in my stash from all walks of life!

Judi in Ohio 01-30-2010 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by catlady506
Yes I would like to know what online stores to buy fabric are good. I hate paying the extra for shipping!!! Thanks.

Usually what you save on tax more than pays for shipping.
Judi

UCHSCPSYCH 01-30-2010 12:53 PM

I have never one in a Wal-Mart store and never will. When I first started to quilt I used Joann's but no more! If you are going to put all the hours into a quilt that you want to last for several years I go quilt store quality only. It costs more but is worth it in the long run.

newfiegirl 01-30-2010 02:46 PM

Ebony: Remember the best thing about quilting is to enjoy. Perfection will come with patience and practice. I have seen women who have quilted for years come up with a "boner" now and then. I would suggest that you try and find a quilt guild or a local quilting group and learn from others' mistakes. They will be delighted to help. I speak from experience (lots of it). Above all ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!!