Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking feet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-feet-t285966.html)

bkay 02-10-2017 05:13 AM

walking feet

Are walking feet specific to the machine or are they interchangeable by shank? By that I mean, will a low shank walking foot from a Kenmore work on a low shank Singer?

bkay

PaperPrincess 02-10-2017 05:37 AM

They do sell generic versions that fit many machines, however, this is one piece of equipment that it really does pay to get the correct brand for your machine. They are of better construction and work better.

nativetexan 02-10-2017 07:38 AM

I always get what is made for my machine.

grammy17 02-10-2017 07:39 AM

I went through 3 $20 ones before I gave up and bught the one I really needed.

Dolphyngyrl 02-10-2017 08:20 AM

there are generics but I have seen quite a few have issues with them or brands that are not made for their machine working on their model. I agree with paper princess best to get the one specific to your machine

cashs_mom 02-10-2017 08:29 AM

I've always bought the one for my specific machine. Some are pretty inexpensive. Some, like the one for my Bernina, are really pricey, but I waited until it was on sale. I always felt the generics would kinda/sorta work.

bkay 02-10-2017 09:47 AM

They had 2 in an estate sale. I believe they were both the same. She had a Janome and a Kenmore machine, and both were low shank. That's the reason for the question. They were hoping to sell the machines and didn't sell the feet separately.

Boy they had a lot of stuff - pattern books, rulers, quilting frames, templates, thread and a couple of quilt tops. They were proud of them, though. Surprising, very little fabric.

bkay

Cari-in-Oly 02-10-2017 10:20 AM

As long as the base of the foot lines up with the feed dogs, the walking foot should be fine. I've been using Alpha Sew walking feet for years and they're great. I have one for zig zag low shank and one for straight stitch low shank. The generic one that came with a machine I purchased new years ago didn't last very long but I've had the Alpha Sew ones for about 5 years now.

Cari

SuziSew 02-10-2017 10:29 AM

I had a generic one for my older machine, other than having to tighten a screw now and again it worked great. Actually I liked it more than the one that came with my Viking.

RedGarnet222 02-10-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 7761421)
They had 2 in an estate sale. I believe they were both the same. She had a Janome and a Kenmore machine, and both were low shank. That's the reason for the question. They were hoping to sell the machines and didn't sell the feet separately.

Boy they had a lot of stuff - pattern books, rulers, quilting frames, templates, thread and a couple of quilt tops. They were proud of them, though. Surprising, very little fabric.

bkay

I am thinking that maybe someone inherited the fabric or it was sold as a lot to someone. ?? Luck you to have gone to such a fun sale.

I always get the one made for my machine. It just makes it nicer to have the real deal because many are just not made as well or work as well.