Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking Foot - Brand Name Vs Generic (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-brand-name-vs-generic-t252318.html)

Treasureit 08-22-2014 01:15 PM

Walking Foot - Brand Name Vs Generic

I have a Babylock Crescendo sewing machine and want to get the walking foot for it. I see generic ones for about 1/3 of the price of the brand name ones.

Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the two?

dunster 08-22-2014 01:45 PM

I have a generic walking foot for an old Singer, and a Bernina walking foot for my Bernina. There is a world of difference in those two feet with the Bernina being much higher quality. I can't speak to a comparison of all walking feet though.

Nammie to 7 08-22-2014 01:46 PM

I have the brand name for my Bernina -- just had it rebuilt after 20 years of use. Many times you get what you pay for.

Jeanne S 08-22-2014 02:02 PM

There was a thread here recently about generic walking feet and how quickly they fall apart and break. You might look back at that. When it comes to something like a walking foot that you use A LOT, I would spend the extra$$ and buy the brand name foot that goes with your machine.

ManiacQuilter2 08-22-2014 02:05 PM

I TOO have a Bernina and I did wear out the walking foot. I tried a generic and they are just not built that great. Just recently bought a NEW vintage Bernina walking foot on eBay and it is working like a charm. I wouldn't want generic parts in my car (if I had one) and I always treated my Bernina babies just like I did my car.

ekuw 08-22-2014 02:13 PM

I have a Janome, and when it was time to get a walking foot, I just didn't want to take a chance that a generic one would be of lesser quality/mess up my machine so I bought a Janome foot and it is quite sturdy.

Treasureit 08-22-2014 02:31 PM

You are very convincing...Brand Name it is.

Dolphyngyrl 08-22-2014 06:12 PM

When it comes to complicated feet I go brand name, simple feet generic will do so I have brand name walking and ruffler foot. I wasted money on a generic ruffler, regretted it, bought the real deal and love it so much better. I have had my brother walking feet for a long time so they are worth it, check out kensewingcenter, and allbrands, they have name brand brother feet that will work on your machine and their prices are usually cheaper than my local dealers, kens has free shipping I think over 30 dollars. You just have to look for the listing for brother dreamweaver for compatibility for your model. I want to say its the SA140, but I prefer the open toe one which is SA188 I think. I have both and both work well.

msquilter59 08-22-2014 11:35 PM

I have a simple Brother machine and have only purchased the generic 1/4" foot at Walmart. It did say on the package that it would fit Brother machines. I agree with the majority if you have a specialized machine go withvthe brand name on the specialized foot for it. It will probably last longer!

romanojg 08-25-2014 09:52 AM

Lots of people have had problems with the generic ones. I was told you should put the cost out for the brand one and save money and frustrations in the long run.