Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot crisis (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-crisis-t134094.html)

wattse2000 06-29-2011 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first time quilting with a walking foot. In fact, this is my first time quilting by machine at all. I was so excited when I finished piecing my top that I got started with quilting before I had done enough research. My first mistake was the design I chose. It requires a lot of stopping and starting -- meaning I have to cut the thread and begin again in a new spot. On some blocks I just went ahead quilting without backstitching. That quilting started to come out so I started using a few backstitches. It makes the quilting kind of messy but at least (I hoped) it wouldn't come out. You can see the stops and starts in the picture. Unfortunately, the ends of the thread on some of those blocks is starting to come out as well. Now I'm almost done with the quilt and I'm afraid it's going to completely unravel with use and washing. I'm afraid I've ruined the entire quilt and I'm devastated!!! If sections come "un-quilted" will I be able to "re-quilt" them after the binding is already on? Have any of you ever had this experience??? Should I rip all the quilting out (would take FOREVER) and just do an all-over grid?

The pattern was my first mistake. The beginning and ending of stitching was my second.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]218712[/ATTACH]

MellieKQuilter 06-29-2011 03:16 PM

I am curious of the answers... I did this same thing, and I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays together!

wattse2000 06-29-2011 03:20 PM

Maybe they'll respond that they've all done this and the quilt has lasted 100 years, Mellie!

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
I am curious of the answers... I did this same thing, and I am keeping my fingers crossed it stays together!

patricej 06-29-2011 03:21 PM

get some fabric glue. look especially for a brand that will dry clear (and not shiny) and that is laundry-safe.

dab a teeeeeeeeny bit on the spots that worry you. press the threads into the fabric with a toothpick. go over it again after it has dried.

make sure to do both sides of the quilt.

i've had much success with Dritz brand Liquid Stitch.

valsma 06-29-2011 03:25 PM

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to tell you more but I will tell you what I have found works for me.

First according to the instructions that came with the walking feet for both my machines, you shouldn't backstitch with the walking foot. When I start quilting I take 1 stitch and use the top thread to pull the bobbin thread through to the top of the fabric, then continue stitching. When I reach the end of the line of stitches im sewing I take an extra stitch then cut the bobbin and the top thread. I use the top thread to pull that last bobbin stitch up enough to use a pin to pull the bobbin thread thtough to the top. When I get a bunch of hanging threads I take the time to knot the two threads then use a needle to hide the threads into the quilting between the top and the batting. I have been told by others that this will secure the threads and it shouldn't come apart anytime soon.
I don't know if this makes sence but it is working for me but I will be interested to see if someone else has more ideas. Good luck.

DogHouseMom 06-29-2011 03:26 PM

Have you quilted it all already or do you still have more blocks to do? If you have more blocks - or a tip for future quilting .... start with a loooong top and bottom thread, take one stitch and pull the bobbin thread through to the top then make sure both are out of the way before you start again. Do the same thing when you stop. When your done you can bury these long threads into the batting of the quilt. Yes it takes more time, but it's a good way to have clean starts and stops.

PaperPrincess 06-29-2011 03:34 PM

I was going to suggest a dab of fray check on the back. You do need to come up with a quilting design that is more continuous, but you will still probably have starts & stops. Another way is to pull the bobin thread to the top when you start or stop. leave long tails, then when you are done, pull the thread to the back, tie off, then bury the tails in the quilt using a needle. YOu can get a self threading needle or a spiral needle so you are not trying to thread it every time. It is tedious, but that's the way lots of folks handle this situation.

wattse2000 06-29-2011 03:34 PM

I'm pretty much done with the quilting. I read instructions like this in a book today which is what made me realize the horrible mistake I'd made! Will try this on the next one!

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Have you quilted it all already or do you still have more blocks to do? If you have more blocks - or a tip for future quilting .... start with a loooong top and bottom thread, take one stitch and pull the bobbin thread through to the top then make sure both are out of the way before you start again. Do the same thing when you stop. When your done you can bury these long threads into the batting of the quilt. Yes it takes more time, but it's a good way to have clean starts and stops.

noahscats7 06-29-2011 03:56 PM

I'm very new to quilting, but I also pull the thread to the top and then I set machine to 0.2 stitch length for 4 or 5 stitches and then go back to regular length and end with the 0.2 stitches. It's no problem and has no messy look like backstitching. glenda

ube quilting 06-29-2011 04:10 PM

You might think it's horrable but it really isn't anything that can't be controlled. THe tip about using Fray Check or Fabric glue is a good one and will work.

Now you've learned something about pulling the bobbin tread to the top and taking a few small stitches to lock the threads. Great!

Remember this . You are a student of quilting. We all are.
Everything has a learning curve. Don't fret. Lets see a picture of the quilt top!
peace :D