Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot or FMQ foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-fmq-foot-t152274.html)

GiddyUpGo 09-11-2011 07:36 PM

Hi just a quick question, I'm doing a small project before I start on my next quilt, a beach bag from a pattern I found online. I just want something small to practice quilting on before I tackle another twin-sized quilt.

So my question is, I am just going to follow the pattern on the fabric when I do my quilting, which is just kind of a gentle wavy pattern ... no really sharp turns or corners or anything. Can I do this with a walking foot or do I need to use the free-motion foot (is that what it's called?) I've only ever quilted in straight lines with the walking foot, and that was just the one time (LOL).

Thanks in advance,
Becki

Prism99 09-11-2011 07:40 PM

If it's gentle curves, you can use the walking foot. You will probably want to go at a slow speed to allow you time to guide the quilt sandwich into the curves.

mzmama 09-11-2011 07:45 PM

Since it is a small project why don't you practice your FMQ and use your free motion foot....just a suggestion

ckcowl 09-12-2011 03:45 AM

you could try it with the walking foot if you want- just remember- the walking foot works with your feed dogs to feed the fabric through evenly-
the free motion foot works with out the feed dogs engaged- allowing you to turn-manuver the fabric without the feed dogs pulling on it.
walking feet work best on straight lines- fm foot works great for curves, designs.
it might be time to try it out on a small project....
but it is certainly possible to do what you want with the walking foot

sidmona 09-12-2011 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by mzmama
Since it is a small project why don't you practice your FMQ and use your free motion foot....just a suggestion

I agree. That way you'll get the feel for fmq.

QuiltnNan 09-12-2011 04:44 AM

Go for the FMQ! As you say, it is a small project, so if you don't like your results, not a lot is lost.

Nana2Sew 09-12-2011 05:28 AM

I agree........the more you practice FMQ........the better the results!

Xstitshmom 09-12-2011 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sidmona

I agree. That way you'll get the feel for fmq.

I agree! Always good to have something to practice with that isn't a big quilt!

ecmoore 09-12-2011 06:10 AM

If you're just doing a gentle wave, use a walking foot, then, if your machine has it, use a multi step zigzag. Set your stitch "length" as long as it'll go, and your "width" as wide as you want the wave (I went as wide as possible.) Because it was a multi stitch zig zag, the actual stitches themselves weren't actually all that long, and it produced a really nice wave and hid all the imperfections, without me worrying if I was being too wavy at one point and not wavy enough at another.