Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-help-t302849.html)

minibarn 02-07-2019 02:59 PM

Walking foot help

Hi
I have an older Janome New Home sewing machine that I am having a hard time finding a walking foot for. Am I correct in thinking that the feed dogs on the machine should line up w/the feed dogs on the walking foot? When I called Janome they gave me a part number so I bought that foot from my LQS but the feed dogs don't line up. Mine are 1/2" from edge to edge and the walking foot is about 5/8" apart. The foot will probably still work OK but I just wondered if I should keep looking.

Thanks.

geevee 02-07-2019 05:42 PM

Have you tried using the foot to see if it works? When I had that machine, I bought a walking foot off Amazon (not Janome, don't recall what brand) but it worked fine until it just stopped working after a dozen or so uses. They replaced it with a Singer, which never worked (it just made teeny tiny stitches and wouldn't feed). I'd give the Janome foot a try and see how it sews.

crackers 02-08-2019 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by geevee (Post 8207047)
Have you tried using the foot to see if it works? When I had that machine, I bought a walking foot off Amazon (not Janome, don't recall what brand) but it worked fine until it just stopped working after a dozen or so uses. They replaced it with a Singer, which never worked (it just made teeny tiny stitches and wouldn't feed). I'd give the Janome foot a try and see how it sews.

I bought a generic one that only worked a few times. I was told it was because I used it for a little reverse stitching. Apparently, you shouldn't use a walking foot for reverse stitching. Not sure I believe that. I also had one that would just sew with very, tiny tight stitches.

ekuw 02-08-2019 09:38 AM

With my first Janome New Home DC1050, I bought a generic walking foot off Amazon and it worked just fine.

Crackers-I have heard too, that you should not use a walking foot for reverse stitching, but not the reason why. That said on my Janome 8900 memory craft I recently had to replace my walking foot. A small spring went missing on it and it would no longer work. I used this walking foot for a couple of years AND reversed stitch so I am not sure if it was just lots of use or the reverse stitching.

minibarn 02-08-2019 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 8207466)
Yes a walking foot works with the feed dogs so the legs on the foot should line up with the feed dogs.

Cari

Well, that is what I thought. this one is off by about 1/8th of an inch but I am having such a hard time finding one that is exact that I think I will just keep using this one.

Thanks everyone!

Aurora 02-09-2019 04:08 AM

Wow! The things they never tell you. I have three walking feet and none of them seem to work. So I just stopped looking.

Garden Gnome 02-09-2019 06:42 AM

I don't have my walking foot in front of me so this may sound a little vague, but here goes: On my walking foot, the little arm that sits on top of the needle screw can stick in the "up" position, making the stitches teeny tiny. I have to wrap a small rubber band (think dental bands for braces) around the arm and the needle screw to fasten them together, so that when the presser foot goes up and down, the arm does too, and thus, the stitches are the correct size.
My walking foot is a generic one, but I would imagine they all work pretty much the same.