Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot issuses (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-issuses-t273358.html)

true4uca 12-15-2015 01:55 PM

walking foot issuses

I never have much luck using a walking foot. I was sewing down binding using my serpentine stitch. It was great on two sides. Stopped for lunch. Went back sewing did about 4 inches went it started making a funny noise, stopped sewing. There were nests of top thread on the bottom of my sewing. Cleaned my machine, seemed worse, no tension. Changed bobbin, the same, changed thread (twice),changed needle, no luck. Finally took off the walking foot replaced it with a reg. zigzag foot. Now sews fine. Any ideas, I'm using a Juki Exceed 600 & the walking foot supplied with it. The zigzag foot might belong to my Brother machine.

Nammie to 7 12-15-2015 02:20 PM

A walking foot is used when stitching straight lines -- don't think it liked the curves.

true4uca 12-15-2015 02:38 PM

Well duh to me.

Thank you for letting me know this, it really explains so much too me. I just never knew that. The only time I've ever tried using a walking foot is when I use a fancy stitch to sew down binding.

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 7404844)
A walking foot is used when stitching straight lines -- don't think it liked the curves.

sushi 12-15-2015 03:35 PM

Gosh, I didn't know that either.

The day is not a waste cuz I learned something new!

ManiacQuilter2 12-15-2015 03:55 PM

As mentioned above, a walking foot is for straight stitching. I found that the walking foot for my Bernina works best. Not all feet are interchangeable.

dunster 12-15-2015 04:51 PM

Not true, I use my walking foot for zigzag stitching all the time. You can't use it if the stitch involves complicated forward/backward motion, but a serpentine stitch is forward motion. Check and see if you can do any sewing at all with your walking foot. Sometimes they break.

quiltedsunshine 12-15-2015 05:39 PM

Yes, you can use a walking foot for doing fancy stitches. I really like using the serpentine stitch for quick quilting projects. It doesn't do as well with the forward/backward stitches, but you can adjust the stitch balance -- if you have that on your machine.

Ariannaquilts 12-15-2015 05:51 PM

I just used my walking foot to do the serpentine stitch on placemats with no previous problems, however, yesterday I was in a hurry doing a different stitch and found out the hard way that the walking foot is called a walking foot for a reason you can't go at full speed without issues. I broke 2 needles, needless to say I slowed it down a tad and was able to finish my projects without any further incidents. I never even thought about using my walking foot for fancy stitches until I took a Craftsy class (the instructor Jacquie can't remember her last name, sorry) does a lot of her quilting straight line but also using the serpentine stitch as well her quilts are awesome.

true4uca 12-16-2015 10:22 AM

Thanks, my speed might be the issue cause when I used a reg. foot it was fine. Won't be sewing till after xmas. Too much entertaining cutting into my sewing time (grin).

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts (Post 7405059)
I just used my walking foot to do the serpentine stitch on placemats with no previous problems, however, yesterday I was in a hurry doing a different stitch and found out the hard way that the walking foot is called a walking foot for a reason you can't go at full speed without issues. I broke 2 needles, needless to say I slowed it down a tad and was able to finish my projects without any further incidents. I never even thought about using my walking foot for fancy stitches until I took a Craftsy class (the instructor Jacquie can't remember her last name, sorry) does a lot of her quilting straight line but also using the serpentine stitch as well her quilts are awesome.

sept97 12-17-2015 03:37 AM

I can't even do a zig zag with my walking foot