Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking Foot Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-question-t221395.html)

grann of 6 05-15-2013 03:42 AM

That's the beauty of having more than one machine....I keep my walking foot on one of my Vikings all the time. Each machine is used for a specific job, one has the 1/4" foot, one is used just for embroidery, one is used for bobbin-winding and specific thread colors, etc. Saves me lots of time.

pumpkinpatchquilter 05-15-2013 03:45 AM

I don't use my walking foot much to be honest. It's big and bulky and I'm too cheap to buy one with a quarter inch guide! Lol* I find if I starch well that I don't really need it for most projects that I do. :)

Jingle 05-15-2013 05:31 AM

I only use mine for straight line quilting and sewing on the binding. Otherwise I don't use it.

BarbaraSue 05-15-2013 05:45 AM

I agree that the Pfaff with its built in walking foot is very nice, I use that feature on mine with general sewing because of the even feed. However...... I don't sew on my Pfaff for quilting much. I'm hooked on my Vintage Ladies and I piece with them more often. I do not use the walking foot until I get to a place in the process to need it like quilting or binding. I've broken one walking foot. Too expensive to use all the time if you have to replace them.

mom-6 05-15-2013 05:50 AM

I leave mine on all the time. Haven't seen any need to change it out. Seems to make everything feed more evenly. Of course I don't do any fancy quilting yet either. Works fine on gentle curves.
The quarter inch foot I got wasn't! So I just figured out where on the screw that holds the face plate on was a quarter inch and go by that.

klutzyquilter 05-15-2013 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C (Post 6062173)
I guess i'm the oddball. I leave it on and it pieces just fine. I guess i'm just too lazy to change the feet!

You're not the only one .... I forgot and left mine on and found it worked just fine. In fact, I do better with the 1/4" seam with the walking foot on as I use specific parts on the foot as my sewing guide.

dcamarote 05-15-2013 06:08 AM

Wish I had one that was on automatically. I love using it but it is tiresome switching back and forth. Didn't know there was a machine that had one built in!

Mimiqwerty 05-15-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 6061770)
The joys of a Pfaff. It's built in and I use it all the time.

Me too. :thumbup:

My new machine is a Babylock Crescendo. The walking foot is huge and must be plugged into the machine for the machine's computer to operate. I don't use it often because the Crescendo seems to feed both layers evenly--even when quilting straight lines.

klgls 05-15-2013 08:33 AM

I have the built in on my Janome and I use it most of the time.

materialgrl 05-15-2013 08:45 AM

I just used mine for the 1st. time. I love it. I wished I would have tried it out sooner. I need to heed more to what I learn on here. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.