Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-question-t243050.html)

Barbpr 03-12-2014 10:41 AM

Walking foot question

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I am trying to use my walking foot to quilt. I have a Pfaff 1040 and with this foot the needle sits to the left of the center of the foot base. I can't seem to move the needle over to line up with the foot center.

I have attached photos of the foot - the white thread shows where the needle is and a photo of the foot I have.

My question is how do I line up my quilt to get a straight line? If I line it up with the slit in the foot, then it sews to the left. If I line it up to the needle, I can't keep it straight!
Any help is appreciated.

nativetexan 03-12-2014 12:00 PM

did this foot come with your machine? or a generic one? if it came with it, read your manual and see what that says. someone will pop in here that has the same machine soon. Good luck.

quilter2090 03-12-2014 12:09 PM

Does your Pfaff have IDT? If it does, you don't need a walking foot. On a lot(but not all)Pfaff's there is a built in walking foot,IDT. Check your manual to see if you Do have the built in walking foot. Look at your machine, is there a black presser foot behind your presser foot? If there is, you don't need a walking foot presser foot. You do need to have presser feet to allow the IDT to work. Call your dealer and ask these questions.

Barbpr 03-12-2014 02:13 PM

Thanks.. my dealer went out of business. The foot is a generic one and it does work, but not the way I need to line it up. My machine is a hobby machine, nothing fancy...no IDT, etc. The book says nothing and I couldn't find anything online. I took the darn thing off!

nativetexan 03-12-2014 04:10 PM

well you could put a thickness of post it notes on your machine in front of the foot to help guide your fabric under the foot and get your 1/4 inch stitch/seam. try it and see if that works. Good luck. walking feet do help.

dunster 03-12-2014 05:46 PM

I'm surprised that you can't move the needle to the center of the foot. Can you move the needle when that foot isn't attached?

Barbpr 03-13-2014 06:23 AM

I tried using post it notes but couldn't see where it was! And the foot does not move anymore toward the center without the foot. I tried every button and combination. It lines up perfectly without the foot. I am trying all your suggestions and appreciate any help.

nativetexan 03-13-2014 07:35 AM

well give up on that foot since it's not one for your machine. try using a bit longer stitch length when sewing on your quilt layers. this will help the layers from being shifted. go slow and Good luck.

thimblebug6000 03-13-2014 08:01 AM

Try setting your machine to a zig zag & that may move the needle over, and hopefully you can set the zig zag length to zero and the machine will sew a straight line? (someone suggested this to me when I had a little machine that the needle wouldn't center on)

linda8450 03-13-2014 08:13 AM

If your machine is "electronic" and has a boot up when you turn it on, it might just need to be re-booted. Turn it off and wait a beat, then turn it back on (some advise unplugging but I never saw a difference, but can't hurt) then see if the needle automatically centers.