Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot spoiled. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-spoiled-t73311.html)

sewNso 10-30-2010 05:41 PM

my favorite sewing machine died today, and so i tried to put the binding on by using a 'spare' sewing machine. which does not have a built in walking foot. big mistake. i should have done a little, instead of getting it all done, and not being happy with it. i ripped the whole thing back off. aren't walking foots just the best thing ever?

Holice 10-30-2010 05:56 PM

i sewed binding on a quilt recently using the 1/4" foot. It worked fine. Just had to go slower and guide the quilt thru.

MrsM 10-30-2010 05:57 PM

I can never get a walking foot to work for me. I sew my binding to the front of my quilt then hand stitch it to the back. Any hints??

sewNso 10-30-2010 06:07 PM

my janome has a built in walking foot. that means, you just flip a preattached back foot down over and lock it into your regular foot. it guides the 3 layers of the sandwich thru real smooth.
i have never had to (at least i don't remember) having to rip out a binding, because it was puckered. yes, in the past, i did have a walking foot that i had bought separately and then attached to whichever machine i was using. but my janome spoiled me. i kept having to smooth, and easy my border to lay smooth, that should have given me a clue that the back was gathering a little. you ladies that use your l/4 foot and make it work, must be more gifted than me. i just bluff my way thru it all.

sewNso 10-30-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
I can never get a walking foot to work for me. I sew my binding to the front of my quilt then hand stitch it to the back. Any hints??

and that's what i do. it looks better like that, and if you ever 'took it to the fair', that is what they would like to see. i believe. i have never entered a quilt in a show or fair. i am not that patient of a quilter. but i do want them to look real nice.

caquiltingdeb 10-30-2010 06:12 PM

What model Janome has the built in walking foot sewNso? I love my Janome, but would really like to have a built in walking foot...mine does not have one.

maryb119 10-30-2010 06:17 PM

My Pfaff has one built in and yes, it is a wonderful thing to have.

featherweight 10-30-2010 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119

Same here, love,love.love it!!!

littlehud 10-30-2010 06:27 PM

I use the IDT on my Pfaff for everything I sew. It just seems to work so much better.

sewNso 10-30-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119

i was using my ''phaff grand quilter'. and i bought it used. it is just a straight sewing machine, no walking foot. boo hoo

i'm upstairs. i think my janome is a 6600. and i knew i was pushing my luck. it just was sounding funny. i almost took it to the shop last week, and didn't. but it has made i bet 50 queen quilts. plus numeroues baby, and twin quilts.