Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   walking foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-t286755.html)

pabcwp7 03-12-2017 10:42 AM

walking foot

I've been lurking on this forum for some time now and I've picked up a lot of good advice. I'm hoping that someone can help me with a problem I've been having.

Can anyone suggest a durable walking foot for a low shank machine? I have a Pfaff that doesn't have IDT and am searching for a walking foot the can stand up to medium usage. I've tried several - two broke after some time and one actually came bent out of the box. The one I am currently using has a "nub" that keeps coming out of the hole that connects it to the foot. It also is creating metal shaving dust. Obviously, its performance is poor.

Thanks in advance.

Tartan 03-12-2017 11:52 AM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Sorry, I don't have any experience with Pfaff machines.

osewme 03-12-2017 12:10 PM

Howdy from Texas & welcome to the boards. I'm not familiar with Pfaff machines either but I would suggest purchasing a Pfaff walking foot if at all possible. Also, could you tell me what IDT is? Someone will come along to help you concerning your walking foot. That's what's so good about this board....it's full of helpful quilters.

anne2016 03-12-2017 02:18 PM

I don't know anything about Pfaff machines but wanted to say WELCOME to the board.
Someone will be along to help you.

GEMRM 03-12-2017 02:53 PM

IDT = integrated dual feed - both the upper and lower parts feed the fabric through the machine. It's like a built in walking foot.

Pudge 03-12-2017 04:21 PM

Have you tried a Pfaff dealer?

Pudge 03-12-2017 04:29 PM

I'd like to help you research the best solution for your problem. To do so, can you tell us the exact model of your machine?

Dolphyngyrl 03-12-2017 07:13 PM

Are you buying a pfaff foot. I recommend not skimping on the non-brand generic walking feet. It is one of those instances where it is better to buy the correct foot for your machine

pabcwp7 03-13-2017 02:12 PM

Thank you for your responses. My machine is a Pfaff Hobby 1142.

I had actually purchased one of the walking feet from the dealer. Unfortunately that was the one that came bent out of the box. I don't blame the dealer. The box looked like it might have been opened before so I think someone returned it without explaining what the problem was and the dealer resold it. I would have returned it myself but I threw away the box and receipt right after buying but didn't actually use the foot until much later.

All of the feet I've bought have been generic. I can't seem to find a Pfaff walking foot. Maybe they don't make them since the walking foot mechanism is integrated with most of the Pfaff machines. I guess I'll try the dealer again and see if the bent foot was just an anomaly.

M.Elizabeth 03-13-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7782873)
Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Sorry, I don't have any experience with Pfaff machines.

Same from me except welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.