Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-t88462.html)

sharonkquilter 01-07-2011 01:48 PM

I'm not going to say this is a stupid question :D This past week was the first time I used a walking foot. It came with the machine I bought about 2 months ago (a Brother CS-6000i), but hadn't had a chance to try it. Well all was going fine, just sewing along in the ditch, until the last row. All of a sudden, the entire foot started jumping up and down!! I checked to make sure all the screws were tight, tried again.... jump, jump, jump! Took it off and finished with a regular foot! Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

ktbb 01-07-2011 01:55 PM

I use a walking foot a lot and never had this happen. There's always the possibility that it's a bad foot. have you tried it on different fabrics? or different thicknesses? A walking foot is supposed to walk, not jump (LOL).

nativetexan 01-07-2011 02:59 PM

call the shop where you got your machine and find out. perhaps they can exchange it for another one or give you a reason that happened.good luck.

amma 01-07-2011 04:47 PM

So your walking foot turned into a hopping foot? :lol:
Sorry :oops: I couldn't resist :roll:
I would try putting it back on and see if something had just come loose while you were sewing. If it still hops, then take it back and see if they will exchange it for you :D:D:D

BKrenning 01-08-2011 09:08 AM

Did the little arm that is supposed to ride above the needle bar come loose?

GrammaO 01-08-2011 09:22 AM

I have had this happen on my babylock. First thing to check is to make sure your arm on the walking foot is properly attached to the arm that raises the presser foot. Make sure your screws are tightened that hold it on (I wasn't tightening mine enough because I was afraid I'd break something) and finally make sure your needle is fully up into the needle holder and is also well tightened. If all the above is ok, then you might have a bad walking foot, but I noticed that if everything isn't installed and lined up properly the feed dogs and the mechanism on the foot that makes it "walk" won't move the fabric in sync and it will hop. Hope that helps you.

sharonkquilter 01-08-2011 02:56 PM

This is the first quilt I've used it on. Now the question is, do I start a new one to try it out on or do I finish up a UFO? :)

sharonkquilter 01-08-2011 02:57 PM

I'll try all of your suggestions soon! Thanks again!

judis 09-28-2011 05:03 AM

I have the same machine and have had the same problem with the walking foot. I've tried all of the suggestions. Did you ever find a solution?

iwillquilt 09-28-2011 05:07 AM

The one I had did that and started pulling out from under the machine. One of the little plastic parts that line it up with the arm broke off. I ordered a replacement on ebay but it didn't come with the longer needle screw and I guess I lost mine when I was between walking feet. So I am still without one that I can use. Hope to buy a new machine that comes with one soon so just waiting impatiently. I hope you figure out your problem.