Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Walking Foot usage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/walking-foot-usage-t308042.html)

NickiZ 11-16-2019 07:53 AM

Walking Foot usage

Do any of you use the walking foot for piecing? Does it give you a better 1/4" seam? I seem to have issues when I get to the end of my block and am wondering if the walking foot would help.

Jordan 11-16-2019 07:58 AM

I don't use my walking foot to piece with but I really like it to put binding on and right now I am making rag quilts with denim and my walking foot works great. My friend says she uses her WF for everything. Guess it is what you get used to

DJ 11-16-2019 08:29 AM

The IDT is the feature of the Pfaff that is a "must have" for me, so I do use it nearly all the time. My DD has a walking foot that attaches to the shank, and she leaves it on nearly all the time. I don't know if it would improve the 1/4" seam issue, but it sure helps to avoid the top fabric stretching a bit.

Rhonda K 11-16-2019 08:38 AM

Please tell us more.

What kind of issues are you having with the blocks? Are the fabrics getting stretched as they are sewn? Do you have a picture of the issue? It could be the technique of how you put them through the feed dogs.

I keep my index finger along the right hand side of fabric to help guide into the feed dogs. Left hand tickles the fabric along. The other tip is to hold the end edges of the fabric together. That helps feed them.In between that, there are stops with sewing so I can position fabrics as needed.

I use the WF for adding long borders. It helps feed the two fabrics as they are stitched.

NickiZ 11-16-2019 09:29 AM

I guess I just need to practice more - the issue is when I get to the end of what I'm sewing - my stitching kind of drifts off to the side making the end of the seam less than 1/4".

Iceblossom 11-16-2019 09:59 AM

That's a common problem, NickiZ. Some people use a stiletto to help manage the fabric. Other people use enders more than leaders to butt up against that last bit going under the foot. Sometimes what foot you use can make a big difference, I'm so used to 1/4" quilter foots I have problems using anything else. Some machines require guiding the fabric and then we need to learn how to not guide the fabric and let another machine take care of it.

My "good" machine needs a servicing so I have my cheapo Brother out, and I'm having a hard time getting used to it again. I have not been impressed with workmanship but the bad stuff is hidden in the back and I'm getting better each seam I do.

The walking foot helps more (I think) with going from areas of two thicknesses of fabric to the bunches of seams as well as shifting layers (sort of the same issue). The Bernina has an integrated one and for the most part I leave it on.

mim 11-16-2019 10:06 AM

I use a stiletto or seam ripper tip to hold the small bit of fabric at the end. Holding it keeps the fabric straight and not twist to the side. The feed dogs are grabbing only one side when there is only a bit left.

Originally Posted by NickiZ (Post 8327756)
Do any of you use the walking foot for piecing? Does it give you a better 1/4" seam? I seem to have issues when I get to the end of my block and am wondering if the walking foot would help.

Rhonda K 11-16-2019 11:06 AM

Thanks for the update. I thought that might be the problem. Here is one example of getting the fabric through the dogs and keeping it straight. You can use painters tape and build up layers. Place on machine bed so you have the 1/4 inch seam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSCBzwJ1lB4

Another one for you. I have the same bobbin cover and it helps with the 1/4 inch seam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2KremZ6rB8

One more tip that I use. Mark the 1/4 inch seam so you can see it on your fabric. You want to watch that line go through the presser foot. Don't watch the needle. It's like driving a car down the road.

I still mark seams even though my machines have laser lights. Hope that helps!

Iceblossom 11-16-2019 11:11 AM

For another marker, on my old vintage machine I grabbed one of my son's fancy bandages (blue with a night sky) and put it on the mark but lower down, off the plate and closer to me, the little pad in the middle really helped especially since I do a lot of strip piecing. You do want to watch out for masking tape, modern stuff is better but some of it still gets brittle and hard especially in light and can damage finishes.

platyhiker 11-16-2019 12:45 PM

My sewing machine (a basic Janome machine from about 1997) really wants to drift to the side at the very end of seams, and I've found that using a walking foot eliminates this problem for me. (I've tried using leaders and enders, and they didn't seem to help with this issue, but I do love them for prevent thread "bird nest" tangles.)

I highly recommend giving it a try and see if you like the results.