Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall Hanging or Bed Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-hanging-bed-quilt-t45722.html)

Butterflyblue 05-14-2010 11:23 AM

I make what I call "throw size" quilts the most (and baby quilts, everyone is always having babies). I do a few "doll size" and wall-hangings too.

I actually haven't completed a bed size quilt, although I have two (a twin and a queen) in progress.

Irishlady 05-14-2010 01:08 PM

I've made 2 bed size quilts, although one of them is still waiting to have the bottom seam sewn. I much prefer lap quilts and wall hangings as they are quicker to do.

mjsylvstr 05-15-2010 04:53 AM

Have done both but I do enjoy the wall hangings now.......so much easier to handle....
and completed so much sooner !!!!!!

pegquilter8 05-15-2010 05:43 AM

All over the place. Since I teach quilting and sewing, I have to do smaller pieces as S&T. Am now completing a lap/nap size for each of my sibs. Then more ART type hangings are in my future.

Scissor Queen 05-15-2010 06:55 AM

I make all sizes of quilts. Right now I'm in the middle of piecing the blocks for a queen size quilt and I just started 3 identical wall hangings. I have 5 wall hangings waiting to be quilted after I practice some free motion quilting a bit on my new machine. I also have two other queen size quilts that the blocks are all done and ready to set together. I have two twin size quilts in the process right now too.

I'm getting the list of "in the works" quilts worked down though.

steelecg 05-15-2010 07:23 AM

Most of the things I work on at lap size and smaller - If it is bigger then it is off to the quilter I go because of space limitations.

quiltermomo 05-15-2010 07:47 AM

The largest quilts I have done so far are crib quilts and lap warmers. I didn't start quilting until I turned 66 so I feel a need to do smaller quilts so I can get them finished. I painted in watercolors before I started quilting, so I think of quilts as paintings.

judithb 05-15-2010 07:47 AM

I have only made one to hang and it was a small mandala, 17X18, for a friend. I enjoy making "quilts for kids" and then I can practice free hand quilting. I do enjoy the process of making a bed quilt for gifts and us!

grammypatty7 05-15-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Which do you do more, wall hanging or bed quilt - and what size?

Started out doing all full/queen quilts. 7 Baby quilts for 7 grandchildren. 7 twin quilts for 7 grandchildren and just finished up the 7th one and will get it posted soon - been saying that for 2 weeks now. Since joining a quilt chapter/guild here in our retirement community, I do whatever we are working on which has been more throws, a set of placemats and a table runner and 2 quilted sweatshirt jackets. While doing the small projects though, I always have a bed size quilt in progress.

kwiltkrazy 05-15-2010 11:34 AM

Bed quilts(queen or king), but lately I have been doing small wall hangings and candle mats, so that I can practice my fm quilting. I think I'm actually getting hooked on them now. Ideas keep coming up in my mind for them. Or I want to try a new technique, they're perfect.