Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Wall Hanging Kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/wall-hanging-kit-t189894.html)

jamsbuying 05-24-2012 11:17 AM

Wall Hanging Kit

Over the weekend I went to a small local quilt guild quilt show. Saw beautiful quilts. Bought my first every kit, a wall hanging from one of the vendors there. I fell in love with the sample hanging in the booth and the picture on the front of pattern. Opened the package yesterday only to find out the fabrics were not the same as the sample and picture. What a disappointment. I'll bet I don't buy from that vendor again! Lesson learned: Always ask if the 'kit' is exactly like the sample and/or pattern picture.

sandybeach 05-24-2012 11:22 AM

I would have contacted the seller and informed them that since the kit did not exactly duplicate the finished pattern, that you do not want it and would like to either return the kit completely for a full refund, or have them exchange your kit material with the material from the sample.

jamsbuying 05-24-2012 01:39 PM

Oh, I've sent them a note...

Greenheron 05-24-2012 02:13 PM

What a let down.:thumbdown:

ckcowl 05-24-2012 02:22 PM

i've seen lots of kits made from different fabrics than a sample was made from- often samples are years old- and the fabrics are no longer available- sometimes kits are put together in a dozen different lines so you have a choice- not everyone wants to make the exact same thing someone else made- it's common in many many shops- i've seen kits put together with novelties, reproductions, batiks & flannels all with the same pattern...the lesson to be learned is---look at the fabrics before choosing a kit....and if it is different you can ask if they have it available in the fabrics from the sample- often it is no longer available though- fabric lines change every 3-6 months- and often they are only ran once-then never to be seen again-

mucky 05-24-2012 03:06 PM

I think the vender should somehow let customers know it is not the same fabric. It's almost the old con game of bait and switch.

joyce888 05-24-2012 03:44 PM

I have to agree with mucky. Consumers should be told up front when fabrics may vary from picture shown. Curious to their response.

Dolphyngyrl 05-25-2012 03:52 PM

most vendors usually info their customers of fabric changes even if its as simple just a border fabric. Are the fabrics so awful that it won't look nice. Sometimes different fabrics might surprise you as to how beautiful they can be. You can always use the pattern and use the fabrics in another quilt

athenascooter 05-26-2012 10:10 AM

I also purchased a wall hanging from our local quilt shop only to find also that the fabric was different. I did make the hanging and donated it to our church bazaar. I did stop at the shop and told them they should put a note on the quilting projects to let customers know that the fabric may be different as to save alot of disappointed customers. She was glad and had done so and customers are now aware of that fact and when not the same have asked if she can make and kit with the same fabric